CHAPTER 13.

Jimin pov:

“Morning, jimin!” Lini was unspeakably perky in the morning and I’ve grown to love her like a sister, but I just couldn’t handle shit that morning.

“Don’t, okay? Just ... Don’t. I need some time.”

I closed the door behind me as I entered my office. Leaving the light off, I sat at my desk and berated myself. I’d left like the proverbial thief in the night. As if I was ashamed of her. The truth was, I was ashamed of myself. She was ... I didn’t know what the right word was. Not ‘pure’. ‘Good’, maybe?

She was a hardworking mom, a good person who had helped to raise her brother when no one else stood up. Me? I was the guy getting pep talks by self-help gurus while my son and wife were t-boned and killed by a guy in a truck. I laid there staring at Em for half the night before I couldn’t take it anymore. She deserved better than me. It was like I was sullying her bed by lying next to her.

Mike picked up on the first ring.

“Hey, you in the office?”

“Yeah. You free tonight?”

“Not sure. Why, what’s up?”

“I need to get to a meeting. Can you...”

“Yup. There’s one at First Methodist at 7:00. I’ll drive.”

“Okay. Mike? Thanks.”

“Don’t thank me. We’re in it together, brother. Just work the program.”

Leia’s next lesson was the following day and I wasn’t sure how things were going to go down. I ran from Em’s bed like a coward. There was no way that was going to end well. She deserved better. I knew it and she had to know it. We were done, that was obvious, but I couldn’t stop thinking about Namjoon and Leia. He was better than I would have anticipated, much better. That little girl had wormed her way into my heart and I wasn’t sure how I was going to deal with things if that was over as well.

Em didn’t call or text and my day was hell. My stomach was rumbling as we drove to the church and I felt like I could sleep for days if I could manage to close my eyes for just a few minutes. Mike got me some donuts and a coffee as I sat down and I nibbled a bit. The coffee just brought up some bile that was waiting for an excuse to make its presence known.

I wasn’t going to start drinking because of what happened the previous night. That wasn’t the issue. The concern was things piling up and me starting to spiral. I wanted to avoid that, so there I was, eating stale donuts and avoiding bad coffee.

We had some time before the meeting started and Mike was talking to a woman next to him who looked like she had just realized that she made a horrendous mistake by choosing that seat.

“Yeah, so who does that? Fucking cookies. Sorry, effing cookies. Fucking Thin Mints, you know? Sweetest little kid and then some degenerate just helps themselves. Well, they’re going to get theirs. Don’t worry about that. They sell these Exlax cookies things. I took them out and put them in an empty Girl Scouts box. Do-si-dos. Who the hell eats those things? Anyway, I then pulled all the tp from the bathrooms. Happy eating, motherfucker. Am I right?”

She made an excuse to get some tea and sat on the other side of the room when she came back.

“Dude, you gotta let this go. It’s just some cookies.”

“It’s not the cookies, asshole. It’s the principle. They thought I been sleeping on it. Didn’t want to fess up. Deadline came and left. Good. I got ‘em right where I want ‘em.”