34 - Only A Matter Of Time

The first thing I saw was the street.

Old, dusty, and absolutely stinky.

Crime Alley.

I groaned, getting up and leaning on the wall. Luka, who stood at the edge of the dark alley keeping a lookout, turned around, and his eyes suddenly lit up with glee.

"Marinette! Oh my god, you're okay!" he whispered, hugging me tightly. "Luka." I hissed. "I told you to not tell the others." "Don't worry, I didn't. I shut off our comms. They can't hear us." he replied.

Oh, smart move.

I smiled. "How long have I been out for?" I ask, standing up. "Not sure. I couldn't keep track of time." he replied. How Ironic. "Did those guys get away?" I ask, peeping into the deserted street.

Suddenly, a burst of pain shot through me, making me double over in pain. I gasped, looking down at where the bullet shot through me. "Luck? Shit- did it not work?" Luka asked, panicking at my state.

There was no wound.

There was no blood.

But there was pain.

"It did. But my body remembers the pain." I let out. I stand there, leaning against the wall for some more time, until the pain slowly subsided. Luka was still staring at me in worry.

"It's gone. I'm fine now, Serpent." I say, making the now green-haired boy smile. Once the pain was gone, I tried jumping up and down and I was fine. Good. Now, the next step. "So, did those guys get away?" I ask.

"No. I saw them run into that bar over there." said Luka, pointing over to an undersized and dainty little bar at the corner of the street. "Luka, you are my savior." I say, smiling and walking over to the shop.

I walk in, Luka following. Just like the outside, the bar was very small, but it felt warm. Like someone had wrapped a blanket around this place and isolated it from the cruel reality of Gotham. In contrast, there were actually many people there, smiling, dancing, drinking, and simply being happy.

We slowly slip into the storage room, which was part of the area purely restricted to workers.

"I think we lost them." said a voice, from behind a door. I lean against the half-open door, trying not to make any noise. "I agree. We shot the wrench. She can't follow us anyway." said the bald guy, sitting on a chair to catch his breath.

"Not we, you." said the muscle-pig, raising his eyebrow. "What?" the said man asked, scoffing in disbelief. "What he means, is that you shot the girl. Not us." replied the scrawny guy, walking up to the baldy.

"So you're going to sell me off?" asked the bald guy, eyes wide in fear. "Maybe. You were a fool to trust us. Just like Julian." replied the scrawny guy, pulling out another cigarette.

"Julian Liaise was a fool. I am not going to- "

The door creaks, interrupting their conversation. 'Oh shit.' I thought, grabbing Luka and hiding behind a nearby wall, just before someone came to check up on the door. "Must be the wind." whispered someone, going back in.

Just before the door completely shut, I kicked it open. The men in the room looked completely surprised to see me there. "H-how?" stuttered out one, jaw dropping to the floor.

"Surprise!" I say smiling, before throwing my yo yo and tying them all up together. Me and Luka drag them up to the rooftop, grabbing a rope and typing them to the wall. "That was relatively easy." I say, smiling at Luka.

The people we tied up gaped at us in surprise.

"How are you alive, woman?" the scrawny guy asks, confused. "Good. You're alive." The bald man let out in relief, as the muscle-pig scoffed. "You should be dead!" he said.