one

JACKSON

"Aaaand.. rub them together and go like this," Dina instructed before puckering her lips.

I mirrored her expressions with furrowed brows, watching as her pout melted into a warm grin.

"You look amazing. Check it out," She giggled in a sing-song manner as I turned to look in the mirror.

My eyes widened at my own reflection as I closely inspected Dina's handy work. Turning to her, I folded my arms over my chest and shook my head. 

"I don't even look like myself," I snorted, "But thanks."

Dina paced over to her CD player in the corner, skipping from some soft sounding indie shit to something she could dance to with a little more enthusiasm.

She pulled me up from my chair and spun me around, holding my hands as she jumped around like a lunatic.

"Hey.. turn that frown upside down. I didn't hunt down this album for you to pout whilst your favourite song plays," She remarked causing me to crack a small smile.

"Piano Fire is a pretty good song.."

"This is what I'm saying!" She chuckled, throwing her head back as she climbed onto her bed and began to jump around.

I watched as she swayed her hips and threw her arms around with little to no coordination. She somehow always managed to look like a rockstar, even when it was just me and her. She was the coolest person I'd ever met — this was just one thing that made us completely different.

Dina was carefree and likeable. If she was any more laid back she'd be laying on the floor. She had this childlike charm, a fascination for the world and an excitement to live. Even in the conditions that we lived in.

We'd met a while back when I'd first arrived in Jackson with my father. After we lost my mother, we came seeking Tommy. He'd told my father a while back that he always had a warm bed waiting for him in Wyoming. We never needed it until we did — and from that day on we'd been here.

Dina was my only real friend and I didn't mind that. I wasn't as outgoing as she was.

"So, do you even know who's gonna be at this thing?" I asked as Dina took a seat on her mattress beside me.

"Jesse.. Jesse's friends," She smirked as she wiggled her eyebrows, "He has some cute friends, you know."

"What I'm hearing is, I'm third-wheeling.. again," I sighed deeply, slumping back so that I was laid down and covering my face with my hands.

"And one day, I'll be third-wheeling for you to make up for it," She grinned, laying down beside me on her side with her head propped up on her elbow.

"I doubt that,"

"You're too hard on yourself, Chazzie.. come on. Let's get out of here,"

Sneaking out was something I'd become accustomed to. However, the thrill of it all never seemed to cease. Boosting each other over the wall, running hand in hand through the forest as our laughter carried in the wind, following the faint sound of music with torches to light our way.

When we reached the old cabin, the bonfire was always set and groups of people were gathered around to chat, drink, play games. Dina integrated quickly, wrapping her arm around Jesse's waist and joining in with conversation. I grabbed a drink and took a seat on a log, taking in the ambience, watching the smoke dance high in the night sky.

After taking in the ambience of the night for a while, I pulled myself up from where I was sat and strolled around to the garden. It was my little spot, away from the party but not too far so that I could still hear the music. I took a seat on the steps of the back porch, looking out to the mountains for a few moments before pulling my pack from my pocket.

I placed a cigarette between my lips, my lipgloss holding it nicely so that I could reach for a lighter. I pulled it out my pocket and sparked it a few times but seemed to have no hope. I sighed in defeat and shook my head.

"Fucks sake," I spat under my breath before throwing my shitty lighter into the abyss.

"Need a light?"

I jumped out of my skin as my attentions were alerted to the presence behind me. I pulled myself up from where I was sat to face the porch swing, spotting a somewhat familiar face staring back at me.

"God, you scared me half to death," I chuckled nervously, "You hiding too?"

"Could say that," She grinned, patting the swing beside her signalling me to take a seat.

I sheepishly shuffled up the steps and along the creeky porch, taking a seat beside her as she leaned into me to light the cigarette that dangled between my lips. I offered one to her and she nodded, lighting her own before shoving her silver light back into her pocket.

Ellie Williams had one of those faces that was hard to forget. Her skin was pale, but somehow warm at the same time. Her eyes were a blue-ish green, her lashes thick and long. Freckles littered her cheeks as if an artist had flicked her with a paintbrush and unknowingly created a masterpiece.

We didn't know each other well. We'd been out on a few group patrols before but we'd never spoken. All I knew was that she was friends with Dina and Jesse.

"I'm-"

"Charlotte. I know," She smiled softly before taking a long drag from her cigarette, "Ellie."

"I know who you are," I chuckled dryly, "That sounded less creepy in my head."

We sat in silence for a few minutes. Someone told me once that you know someone is good to you when you can just sit together, shut up and let the universe do it's own thing.

"It's all so quiet out here," I smiled softly, staring at the stars as they twinkled every now and then in the darkness.

Then all of a sudden, a star shot through the night sky causing my eyes to light up with joy. I turned to her with a grin.

"Did you see that?" I smiled in awe.

"A shooting star.. let's make a wish."

She grabbed my hand and closed her eyes, I did the same as we wished in unison. When I felt her let go, I opened my eyes and leant back into the seat.

"What did you wish for?" She asked.

"If I tell you.. it won't come true," I remarked with folded arms.

She shook her head with a scoff.

"Hey, I don't make the rules on wishing."

"Well, when I meet whoever does.."

A scream broke the serenity of the night. I jumped from the swing and began to sprint to the front of the house with Ellie behind me.

As we reached the front of the house, we approached a large crowd of people. I fought my way through to the front to see Dina throwing up violently on the floor. My hands clasped over my mouth as people mocked and laughed. I fell to my knees and wrapped her arm around my neck.

"Fuck, what happened?" Jesse asked, helping me lift her up to take her home.

"How the fuck am I supposed to know? I thought you were with her."

"We went to find you. She said she knew where you'd be.. I took my eyes off of her for two minutes."

"Paaaaaaarty!" Dina slurred as we lifted her.

"Doesn't matter now. Let's just get her home."