thirty

The hospital building was large and bleak. The drizzling rain created an even dark atmosphere, the sun that I was pretty sure was non-existent in Seattle hid behind a blanket of grey clouds. As I'd suspected, the hospital was heavily guarded with wolves sporting large weapons and aided by vicious patrol dogs.

Ellie and I ducked behind a pile of crates, her hands flat on the damp wood as she peered around the side for a possibly entry point. Her brows furrowed as she studied the doorways, all of which were obscured by three or four armed guards each. It wasn't going to be easy to find a way in.

"How're we doing this?" I whispered.

"Look up there," She instructed, pointing her finger to a tall guard tower, "If you get there, you can cover me on the ground."

I scanned the courtyard for a clear path. None of them were going to be easy but I was certain I could get through without being spotted. I nodded and stayed low, heading towards the guard tower with caution. Once I'd reached the metal ladder, I gripped the cold bars and began to pull myself up.

There was only one guard on the tower. I crept slowly behind him, wrapping my arm around his neck and dragging him back. I shushed him quietly, driving my knife into his throat before lowering him to the floor with ease. I didn't want to attract any attention.

I positioned myself on my stomach, my gun pointing through a gap in the barriers around the watchtower. I held my hand up to Ellie once I found her in my scope, giving her the thumbs up before attaching my silencer. I was sure to take out anybody in her way, silently shooting then clean through the head and their dog soon after. I didn't like killing animals but I didn't have a choice. I didn't let it keep me up at night.

When Ellie reached the entrance, I lowered myself from the watchtower and rushed to join her side. We stayed quiet throughout the halls, taking out any remaining guards with stealth and caution so as to not get caught.

"Where the fuck is she?" I asked in a low tone, scouting out the large entry way of the hospital.

"I don't fuckin' know," She sighed, walking towards a barricaded door, "Charlotte, help me with this."

I rushed to her side, grabbing the bookcase and heaving it off of the floor away from the door. Ellie swung it open, her fingers gripping her gun tightly as she held it out in front of her to inspect the stairwell.

"It's clear," She nodded, "Come on."

As we reached the top of the stairs, faint music could be heard from somewhere in the distance. Ellie followed the source of the sound like a scent trail, hee strides deliberate and brave. I wanted to urge her to be careful, to stop and think for a moment. But when Ellie had an idea, there was no talking hee down from it.

She stood at the base of an air vent a few feet up, inspecting the small space with her hand on her chin.

"Boost me up there," She said.

I leant my back against the cool concrete, cupping my hands by my crouched knee and springing hee up to the vent. I took a few steps forward to watch as she pulled herself up.

"I'm going to look for another way around," I remarked, "You go, I'll find you."

She nodded her head and began to shimmy her way through the vent. I watched until I couldn't see her anymore before looking for another way around.

The hospital was wrecked. I suspected that hospitals were most likely the most vulnerable place after outbreak day. All those sick people in one place was never going to be a good idea. I kept my strides quick as I navigated the darkness, following the music until I eventually reached the door of the room it was coming from.

I placed my palm on the door, pushing it open slowly with my gun pointed forward. Two men stood guarding another door a few feet ahead. I ducked behind a bookshelf for cover, peering around the corner before checking the bullets in my gun. It was best to avoid making noise, I didn't know how many people were in this place and I didn't want to draw attention to Ellie and I.

I waited until the men had split off, attacking them individually with caution and most importantly - stealth. The vent overhead was pushed open and Ellie lowered herself to the floor, pressing her finger to her lips as she reached the ground before pointing to the final door.

Nora pottered around the office-like space, mindlessly humming the song playing from the stereo as she bobbed her head to the beat. Ellie pointed her gun at her.

"Don't scream. Put that shit down. You remember me?" She spat, "Yeah. You remember me."

I blocked the door with a shelving unit before holding my gun out towards Nora with squinted eyes.

"You move and she'll shoot you," Ellie remarked, tucking her gun back into its holster, "And one thing about her is that she doesn't miss."

"What do you want?" Nora asked shakily, holding her hands in the air and backing herself into the desk she was working on.

"Abby was here earlier. Where did she go?" Ellie asked.

"I don't know. You shoot me... the sound will have every soldier come running,"

"You'll still be dead," Ellie responded through gritted teeth.

"Tell us where she went and we'll think about letting you go," I scowled, inching forward as I unlocked the safety on my gun.

"We could have killed you..." Nora winced.

"Maybe you should have," Ellie began, "Or maybe you should've stayed the fuck out of Jackson. Where's Abby?"

"You still hear his screams?" Nora whimpered, "I hear them every night... Yeah. Yeah, that little bitch got what he deserved."

"You fucking cunt!" Ellie screeched, lurching towards Nora before being smacked with a tray.

Nora hit the ground running causing Ellie to chase after her.

"Oh fuck," I muttered as I began to run.

I kept my pace quick as I chased behind Ellie, hopping over any obstructions that were inconveniently planted in the way as I struggled to stay behind her.

As we ran through the lobby, Nora instructed the soldiers to open fire. I ducked as I ran, covering my head as I tried to keep my eyes ahead on Ellie. She hopped over an elevator shaft, Nora attacking her once she reached the other side causing me to panic. I took a deep breath before hopping to the other side, kicking Nora off of her with a hard blow to her ribcage prompting her to stagger off through another set of doors.

"I fucking had it, Charlotte!" She shouted angrily, chasing after her once more.

I stayed hot on her trail but the universe had other plans. As I ran for the door they'd gone through, all the shelves in the room ahead began to fall like dominos. I lunged at the door, pounding it furiously to no end. I cried out as I struggled, soldiers beginning to approach from behind me.

"Ellie!" I screamed as I pounded my fists on the door, "Ellie!"

I kicked and struggled as a soldier pulled me off of my feet, slamming me on the floor before holding my hands down at either side of my head.

"Get the fuck off of me!" I screeched, beginning to taste blood in my mouth as I struggled.

"Give it up," The soldier spat, "Isaac's gonna have a lot of fun with you."