thirty seven

The cabin was as i remembered it from all those years ago. Cobblestone steps led to a small porch area with a bench, I thought back to my youth. The parties I spent sitting on the little bench, a cigarette in hand as I watched the night play out like a movie. The lights were on, dim candlelight slithered through cracks in the thin curtains. She was home.

I dragged my feet towards the steps, climbing them slowly, stroking the decaying banister as I approached the front door. I took a deep breath, lifting my hand to the door and letting it linger there for a while. I lowered it slowly, turning on my heels to begin walking down the steps as the door swung open.

"What're you doing here?" She asked.

Her voice sent chills down my spine. It uncovered a box full of memories I kept stashed out of reach in my mind. I held my breath, my hand moving to my heart to clutch it gently. I spun around slowly to face her.

Ellie was mostly as I remembered her. Her chestnut brown hair pooled over her shoulders, her eyes were still her own. I recognised them like my own. She looked tired, as if she hadn't really been sleeping. She wore a white vest and dark sweatpants that hung loosely from her hips, the top of her boxer shorts exposed over the waistband. Her muscular arm remained on the door as she studied me.

"I—"

"Who told you I was here? Tommy?" She interjected.

"Yes but—"

"Go home, Charlotte..." She sighed, stroking the back of her neck before shaking her head, "I'll walk you."

"Are you kidding me right now?" I asked as I folded my arms over my chest, "We haven't spoken in nearly a year."

"And it needs to stay that way. I'm better off on my own, you need to understand that," She explained.

"Were you better off on your own in Seattle?" I asked, the anger in my voice grew as I continued, "Did I nearly die countless times when all along you'd have been better off on your own?"

"Charlotte,"

"No, Ellie. I left everything behind for you," I began, my voice shaking as I was flooded with the grief of her abandonment, "I left everything."

"Well, I didn't ask you to," She responded bitterly.

My eyes briefly widened at her words before hardening again as I turned on my heels once more. I charged away from the cabin, my feet furiously pounding the ground as I got further and further away.

"Charlotte," She groaned before raising her voice when I didn't listen, "Charlotte!"

I didn't turn back. I continued to march on, so blinded by my fury that I could barely remember the way home. I didn't notice her chasing after me until she pulled on my arm and spun me around to face her.

"You're not leaving now. It's late, I'll take you home first thing tomorrow. Please just stay," She sighed, "Please."

"You can't keep doing this to me, El. I can't do this," I muttered, my eyes squinting slightly as I examined her expression.

"Charlotte,"

"I followed you! I followed you just like I said I would," I yelled, "To the very ends of the earth... and it wasn't enough for you."

I didn't notice the tears welling in my eyes as I yelled at her. Her eyes widened as I rambled angrily. Then she wrapped her arms around me, holding me as I fought her off of me. I kicked my legs and pushed my arms out but she was stronger than me. She held me in her arms until I'd stopped resisting, keeping me upright as my knees began to fall weak. She soothed me quietly, her fingers stroking the back of my hair gently as she shushed me.

"Let's get you inside," She mumbled, carrying me towards the front door and pushing it open gently.

Ellie placed me on the couch, laying me down comfortably on the thick pillows and covering me on a warm blanket. She tucked it underneath my legs, then my waist and my shoulders, smiling softly as she disappeared into the kitchen.

Her record player was playing a song I didn't recognise, slightly masking the sound of her pottering around in the kitchen. Her absence gave me a chance to examine her small cabin. She'd seemed to have done it up, it was definitely not as nice when we were kids.

Two mismatched armchairs sat parallel to me, knit cushions and throw blankets littered over them for quick comfort purposes. The wooden floor was predominantly covered with a large rug in the lounge space. The kitchen was small but functional, sitting just below a ladder which led up to a large bed. Her guitar rested against the kitchen counter and records lined shelves high up the wall which I was unsure how she even managed to reach.

"Here," She began, placing a cup of tea down on the coffee table, "I'll take you home first thing in the morning, okay?"

I nodded my head slowly before mumbling a sheepish, "Okay."

"You can, uh, take my bed. I'll sleep on the couch,"

"No, I'll sleep on the couch. I'm already comfortable on here anyway," I responded, refusing her offer.

"Not gonna happen," She chuckled dryly, placing a folded pile of clothes down in front of me, "For you. To sleep in."

"Thanks," I nodded with a tense thin lipped smile.

I pulled myself from the couch, watching Ellie situate herself on an arm chair. Her legs were wide as she leaned back into the seat, her toned midriff exposed as she stretched her arms above her head. My breath hitched as I pulled my eyes from her to begin getting changed. She diverted her gaze as I shuffled out of my shorts, folding them up before pulling my shirt over my head.

I turned my face slightly to look at her. She wasn't looking back, her eyes remained in her lap as I sighed and continued to dress myself. Once I was dressed, I laid my folded clothes pile on the coffee table and turned to the ladder.

"Well, see you in the morning then," I nodded.

"Yeah, bright and early."