thirty three

"So what's the plan? We take these guys out and steal their boat?" Asked Jesse.

The three of us perched at a withered opening of a collapsed building overlooking a mall where yet another WLF group had been dispatched. Ellie stroked her chin, thinking on it for a few minutes before nodding her head.

"We're definitely taking their boat. It's up to them if they want to get in our way," Shrugged Ellie, her eyes fixed on the vessel being used by our enemies.

"Let's hope it's a small crew," I sighed.

The faint robotic chatter of the walkie talkies being held by the WLF droned mercilessly until something made our ears prick up.

"Sniper spotted in 12. I repeat, sniper sighted at the marina. Likely a trespasser. Any nearby units report. Over."

Jesse and I snapped our heads in Ellie's direction. She didn't turn to face us but she knew we were looking. She bowed her head and sighed.

"Ellie, we can get to the marina through here," Jesse said, pointing to a gap in the building where we'd be able to lower ourselves back to the road.

"No," She began, shaking her head, "We're taking their boat."

"You heard them, right?" Jesse asked, his brows furrowed, "They're talking about Tommy."

"We don't know that..." She denied.

I stepped forward towards her, reaching my hand out for her shoulder which she shuffled away from. She avoided my gaze, only diverting her eyes to fixate back on the boat below. I shook my head, taking a few steps back to join Jesse's side.

"Look, if it is him, he'll be gone by the time we get there. Abby is where he'll be headed, so if we just foll--"

"What if he's in trouble?" Jesse muttered bitterly.

"He can take care of himself," Scoffed Ellie in response causing my eyes to widen.

My expression hardened again as I became angry. She promised once we found Tommy we'd go home, if it was up to Ellie, we'd move to Seattle until she enacted her obsessive revenge on the girl who killed Joel. She'd put a pause on her life for her self-designated duty, but I'd given everything to be here with her and I was tired.

"The best way to help Tommy is to go after Abby," She began before noticing my expression, "You do this, I'm not saving your ass again. Either of you,"

Jesse paused for a few moments, looking to me briefly before looking back at Ellie.

"I really hope you make it," He smiled softly with a nod, "You coming?"

"I'm sorry, El.." I murmured.

Jesse set off climbing down the building, I took one last look at Ellie who wouldn't even meet my gaze before nodding my head. I understood. I hoped she understood me too.

Once we were back on the street, Jesse examined the skyline before fixing on our location. He lifted his finger up to point to a nearby bridge, but it was swarming with WLF, it'd be hard to cross.

"We can cut under that bridge to get to the marina, shouldn't go over it. It's too busy," He nodded before noticing my face, "Hey... listen to me. She'll be okay."

Jesse held either side of my face with his large hands. He angled my jaw so that it was upright and I was looking into his eyes before smiling softly, he brought my face into his chest and wrapped his arms tightly around my shoulders.

"We'll find her, okay? She'll be okay..." He reassured, "She can handle herself."

"But she shouldn't have to," I whimpered, "I promised I'd be there for her."

"You came all the way out to Seattle to be with her, Char. You've almost died, how many times? You left your friends, your home. All for her, all to be with her," He said, "You love her and she knows it. What you're doing now is being there for her. She'll thank you for it, one day."

I nodded my head, taking a deep breath before pulling away from my best friend.

"Let's find Tommy and get out of here," I sighed, leading Jesse down the path to the bridge.

The rain pounded down mercilessly. The WLF vans that raced past splashed huge puddles which only drenched us further underneath the bridge. I laid my back against a wet concrete pillar, pushing my wet hair out of my face and looking to the marina.

"We can't stay here. We've got to push forward," I said, "We're too out in the open."

Jesse nodded his head, crouching to follow me towards a small side entrance to the marina. We ducked behind some stationary cars, regaining our breath for a few seconds before pushing towards the large building the WLF shot at. I gestured for Jesse to follow me as I weaved my way through the cars, remaining out of sight from our enemies.

"Trespasser!" A man yelled, running towards Jesse and knocking him to the floor.

"Go!" He screamed as the man began to beat him.

I paused for a few seconds, looking to him and then tommy path ahead. I knew I had to keep going. I took a deep breath and ran towards the building, crashing through the doors and slamming my back against them once I was inside. I desperately scanned the room for something to barricade the door, deciding on a wooden desk before pushing it towards the entry point.

"Tommy!" I yelled, "Tommy, it's Charlotte."

I searched the building, running up multiple flights of stairs before reaching the room he was shooting from.

He faced the smashed window, his rifle pointing ahead of him as he looked through the scope. He continuously reloaded, not yet realising that I'd come in the door. I held my hands up and inched towards him, placing a hand on his shoulder causing him to spin around.

"Charlotte?" He asked, "Oh my god."

Another bullet flew through the window causing Tommy to grab me and duck behind the ledge. He held my face in his rough hands, pulling me into his chest with a deep sigh. It was as if he'd been holding his breath until he'd found us again.

"God, you kids are going to be the death of me," He muttered, "Come on, we need to get out of here. Where's Ellie?"

"The aquarium," I nodded, "She took a boat."

"Let's go then," He replied, taking my hand to begin leading me towards the door.

"Wait!" I cried, "We have to get Jesse first. He's down there."

"Jesse?! What's Jesse doing here?" Asked Tommy with furrowed brows.

"I'll explain later. I've got to go and get him, Tommy. I think he might be hurt."

He nodded his head, stroking his stubble for a couple of seconds whilst he decided what to do.

"You ever used a rifle?" He asked.

"No."

"Well, you're about to."