thirty six

JACKSON, WYOMING
TEN MONTHS LATER

The sun peeked through the fluttering curtains, golden rays embracing the room in their warm glow when the thin fabric was carried in the gentle breeze. The birds sang happily in the trees, flapping their wings as they sprang from their perches to fetch food for their young.

I yawned as I awoke, stretching my arms above my head before letting out a satisfied groan. Pulling myself from my bed, I grabbed my cardigan and wrapped it around myself to head for the kitchen. I prepared the pot with hot water, placing it on the stove to boil as I leant against the kitchen counter.

The door lock clicked as it was pushed open and I was faced with a familiar figure, I smiled warmly as she entered the kitchen without sending my presence.

"Did you think I'd still be in bed?" I asked, pouring the water from the kettle over my teabag to begin my brew.

"Is that outrageous of me to think?" Dina asked, walking towards me with JJ in her arms before handing him to me, "His diaper needs changing. He stinks."

"Oh my god," I grunted as I took the small child from the arms of my best friend, "What time will you be finished?"

"I don't know, Char," She sighed, "Before 3, I'm hoping. Earlier if it's quiet. I'll swing by and get him once we're done,"

Dina frantically recollected her belongings, bidding goodbye to her son with a kiss on the forehead before wrapping her arms around the both of us.

"Thank you for this," She smiled, "You really are the best."

"Of course," I nodded, kissing her cheek as she left the house in a hurry.

A lot had changed since we'd arrived back into Jackson. In the early weeks, we held Jesse's funeral. The whole community gathered together to celebrate his life, he'd always said that if anything was to happen to him that he didn't want it to be miserable. He wanted joy and excitement. He wanted to be remembered fondly. We were sure to respect his wishes.

Dina had JJ. She'd moved from the trailer into the house next door to mine. I was looking after him when she went for patrols, she said she still wanted to make herself useful. She barely took a day off. I didn't mind having JJ, I considered myself his cool aunt. We got along just fine when he wasn't trying to bite my fingers off or hide behind my couch.

Tommy was withdrawn. He split up with Maria and was living on his own, I took him meals every week to make sure that he was eating. I wasn't even sure the man could make his own bed. His house was dark, the curtains were always drawn and the lights were never on. I'd have mistaken his place for empty if I didn't know he lived there. He accepted my meals with hesitance, said he didn't want to fuss. I didn't listen.

And then there was Ellie. She went off the radar, left Jackson and said she wanted to be alone. We decided it was better for us to be friends, but I didn't see much of her. She only came back for provisions or ammo. I wasn't too sure where she was held up or what she was doing. I half imagined her to be in a cabin somewhere with a dart board of Abby's face and a bunker with a large map and red string connecting places with names and dates.

I hoped that wasn't the case though. I liked to imagine her in a little place of her own where she'd sit on her porch with her guitar, mindlessly humming to herself as she gently stroked chords with ease. I hoped she'd found peace, that her isolation had done her good. I couldn't even fight with her when she told me she was leaving, after everything we went through, I think we both needed time to heal.

"Come on, potato. Let's go for a walk," I grunted as I placed JJ in his pushchair after I'd finished getting ready.

We left the house at around noon and spent the afternoon strolling the streets. I was trying to get him to talk, pointing to trees and birds and encouraging him to copy. He looked less than impressed, I wasn't sure he was always so fond of our adventures. When we arrived home, I told him a story that he was probably too young to understand. About a hero and her lover, and a journey to a far away land. He seemed to enjoy that a little more, laughing and clapping his hands which I took for a good sign.

Dina picked him up when she said she would, not staying for long as she left muttering something about needing to put JJ down for a nap. She seemed sort of skittish since she'd had him, I don't think she liked leaving him with anybody. I could understand why.

As the sky grew dark, I pulled myself from the couch and flicked off Golden Girls. Dressing myself again quickly, I headed back out of my door down the steps of the porch. I beelined for Tommy's, not forgetting the lasagne pot that I'd cooked earlier on in the day as I headed for his place.

When I arrived, the curtains were drawn which was to be expected. I knocked a few times, swinging back and forth on my heels as I waited for him to come to the door. I heard shuffling footsteps behind the wooden door before it was swung open.

Tommy looked tired. I could tell that he hadn't been sleeping by the large dark circles beneath his slightly wrinkled eyes. Every time I saw him, he looked as though he was aging. His hair was greying and his face was starting to slant. I couldn't tell if it was pure exhaustion or grief, perhaps it was a mix of both.

"I've told you to stop bringing me things, I can cook for myself," He grunted as he pushed the door towards me.

I jammed it with my foot and smiled warmly.

"I know. Maybe it's just me excuse to come and see you," I sighed, "Can I come in? Please?"

He hesitated for a few seconds before stepping to the side, allowing me to duck underneath his arm before closing the door behind me. I made for his kitchen, grabbing two plates for the cupboard and serving up the lasagne. It was still warm, I'd kept it in a warm pot since I'd cooked it because I knew Tommy wouldn't warm it up.

I brought the two plates to his dining table, placing his down in front of him with a glass of water and some cutlery before preparing myself the same. I flicked on his light, taking a seat opposite him and watching as he began to eat.

"Listen, I was wondering if you knew something," I began.

"God, I knew you'd come here for a reason. What do you want?" He asked.

"Do you know where Ellie is?" I asked, "I need to speak to her."

"Why?" He asked, "She told me of all people specifically not to tell you."

"I know but trust me, it's important... please." I pled.

"Leave her alone, Charlotte. She almost got you killed and then ran off the minute you got back, you need to move on. She's better off on her own," He muttered coldly.

I nodded my head slowly, pulling myself up from my seat to begin walking towards the front door.

"Where are you going?" He asked, clashing his knife and fork down on the table before sliding his chair out to stand up, "Charlotte."

He began to chase after me, grabbing my arm to spin me around to face him before taking a deep breath.

"She's out in that lodge in the forest," He sighed, "Just don't let yourself get hurt again, okay? Ellie... she's better off on her own."

"Okay..."

"Now will you please finish eating with me? Please?" He asked.

I nodded my head sheepishly, following him back to the table to continue eating.