48. "Rebel bride, no more."

Chapter Forty Eight

Elena's POV

Love makes you crazy. It causes strong infatuation and obsessive thinking of what he's doing, where he is and who he's with. It gives too much stress, especially if you're prevented from being with him.

That was what mom felt.

She was back at where she was twenty-five years ago, fighting for her love with Gareth Danes, and I was the younger version of Grandpa, stopping her from seeing her lover boy.

Adonis and I were in our bedroom. He looked so sinfully handsome, whose dark hair glistened wet from the shower, standing in front of me, with only a white towel around his hips. 

I stared at his  v-line, it distracted me.

"I thought it would be a joyful reunion," he said, then frowned, thinking, "well, it was, except for you."

"How do you expect me to react? Jump with joy? My goodness. All my 25 years of existence, I thought my father was dead."

"That's why it's a reason to celebrate. He's alive, and that's something that you should be thankful of," he pointed out, putting his hands on his hips, making his manhood my focal point of attention. "you met your father. Isn't that what you've regretted all your life, not being able to see him? Give the man a break. He suffered enough. Just stay calm and take it easy. Listen to his explanation and try to understand him."

"He did not look for us." I took in a sharp breath, diverting my attention to his eyes. "it just means that he did not care. What's worse was, he forgot about us."

"He had an amnesia for twenty years."

"Seriously, you believed that?" I simmered with anger, "he never made an effort when he remembered."

"He probably has a reason. But you know, I was observing him while listening to his story. He's a very sad man. Life had been too hard for him." He shrugged, "he did wrong and wanted to rectify that mistake. Why don't you give him a chance? Allow him to make up for you and your mom."

"What if he'd take advantage of us? Mom could not say no to him. Have you noticed? She was giddy all the time he was there."

"She'd been through a lot with her disease, and her battle is not over yet. She's still being monitored. Let her be happy. Life is too short to dwell on the past. We're all human, we make mistakes. Not giving him a chance could cause damage to your relationship with your mom, and to her health."

"Yeah, I know that. But I just can't help but think of the sufferings that Mom and I had to bear without him by our side."

"Honey, I understand your pain. Come here," he said and gathered me in his arms.

"He has no right to appear again, like nothing happened. Where was he when Mom and I needed him most? I had no father, I could not join the 'Father's Day' activities in grade school. I envy my classmates when their father fetched them at school... (sobbing) he could have help made our lives easier. I could not buy a new pair of shoes. I've been using my worn out shoes for three years," I was crying my heart out in front of Adonis, "when Mom got so ill, where was he? What the fuck was he doing in the circus, for heaven's sake. How could someone be content in feeding the monkeys and elephants everyday? Well, they're cute though... Working as a clown at night and making people laugh. I guess that's a much decent job compared to working in the gas station... (sobbing). What do you think?"

"Yeah, I guess so. A clown is a challenging job though. What if people won't laugh?" he said, his expression thoughtful, "I'd be terrible in such job."

"Me either." I said, then suddenly both of us laughed. I could not imagine Adonis working as a clown.

"Don't give your mom and Gareth a hard time. They've been through a lot too. They're not getting any younger, they deserve to be happy."

I nodded and hugged him.

"Good. That's my girl," he lifted my chin and kissed me passionately, "now, let's take this dress off."

I was like fire, and Adonis was my ice. We complemented each other. He calmed me down with his words of wisdom and values in life. He made me think straight with his advice on decision-making and analytical skills.

I allowed Mom to see Gareth. She cared for him a lot. I did not want to be a hindrance to her happiness.

I saw Gareth worked hard to make up for what he did. He was always with Mom, taking care of her and loving her. When I'm around, he was very kind, pleasant and courteous. He never demanded or asked for anything, either. Giving him a bed and food at the Pallis mansion was enough for him.

And yeah. They got married.

Too soon. But my heart filled with delight for them. They were old enough to do what they wanted in life.

I also forgave him. Yes, I accepted him as my father and welcomed him in our family. We had a heart to heart talk, and hugged each other afterwards. If felt so good to have a father, like I was a young girl again. I became happier and found peace within myself.

My relationship with Adonis is still going so smoothly. Our love for each other grew stronger every day. I cooked his favorite steak, the way he liked it, massage his shoulders, and gave him kisses and cuddles always. He bragged about my minor accomplishments; he noticed when I was not in the mood and made me smile; he apologized more than he needed to, even in small things, and he chased me in the house, until we both ended in the bedroom making wild love.

Adonis and I had our engagement party. We decided it was time for us to get married again.

We were dancing in front of everyone, enjoying the moment of celebrating our love for each other.

"I love you so much, Elena. I promise I'll make you the happiest wife."

"I love you more, Adonis. I promise, I'll wear the whitest wedding dress that I could ever find for our wedding."

He chuckled gleefully, "not a rebellious bride anymore?"

"Never," I answered, and his head dipped down and captured my mouth with his. He gave me the sweetest kiss ever.

Adonis made me feel fully alive.