🌹 Chapter 12.🌹

Chapter's Song: Happier by Marshmello and Bastille.

OLAIDE

I was excited for the rest of the day. It seemed like a dream to me. Since the school decided to make the rest of the day class-free, I wanted to go home immediately. I suddenly remembered that I promised to talk to my new friends as soon as I was done with Mrs Aare.

I went in search of them. I realized I didn't really know much about them. Jeezzz!! Making new friends was quite hard. I eventually saw them near the basketball court. They were watching the seniors play. I called out to them.

"Zara! Temilade!! Adebola!!!" I called out excitedly. I was partially nervous because I didn't know if they really thought of me as their friend.
"Olaide!!" Zara called out excitedly and the three of them walked or should I say jogged towards me.

They hugged me and congratulated me again. I felt so welcomed.
"You did well." Temilade said.
I was surprised because she had been a bit stiff towards me.
"Thank you." I said smilingly.
" We should get to know you more." said Adebola.
"Yes." Zara agreed with Adebola.
"Okay. How about we meet up this weekend? Is that fine with you guys?"
"Yes sure." They replied.

We exchanged phone numbers and they all promised to message me this night. It was refreshing to make new friends.  Temilade and Adebola waved at Zara and I because they go home with the school bus. I was left with Zara and we talked a lot.  I discovered she's really fun to be with.

After about 30 minutes,we parted ways. I went to pick my bag in class and I was stopped by Oyinda. I rolled my eyes and made an attempt to excuse myself.

"Stop there." She said authoritatively.
"Excuse me?" I replied.
"Well well well....You probably feel on top of the world now that you qualified." She continued.
"Well maybeeee.." I replied to provoke her.
"Don't raise your hopes. I'll crush you come next month." She gloated.
"Let's wait and see." I said and walked away.

I really didn't think a day would come when I would be able to stand up to Oyinda. I took my bag and hopped in the car. I was so happy. I gave Mr Bello the good news and he was happy for me. He prayed for me. He really is a great man.

As Mr Bello parked the car, I noticed there was another car in the compound. My daddy's car. This could mean only one thing. My daddy is around. I squealed and ran inside. Could today really get any better?

As I entered the house, I could smell the aroma of Jollof rice. My stomach made a rumbling sound. I was hungry but first, I needed to see my dad. I saw him sitting in the living room with mum.

"Daddy!!" I said excitedly and ran towards him, dropping my bag in the process.
"My baby." He said and hugged me really tight.
"Dad, I've missed you soooo much." I was almost crying already.
"I missed you too." He said and kissed my forehead.
"Cough cough." My mum made a sound.
"Good afternoon mum."
"How're you? How was school today?" She said and kissed my forehead too.
"Fine. Very fine."
"You seem really excited. What happened?"
" I qualified! I'm going to the state level." I exclaimed with so much excitement.
"Yayyyy... That's my baby." She  squealed and hugged me.

My mum was really happy. It felt refreshing. I was so happy. Mum had excused herself to go to the kitchen.
"Qualified forrrr?" My dad asked jolting me back to reality.
"Ohhh dad. I'm sorry I didn't inform you.
I didn't think I was going to do it anyways."
I said and went ahead to tell him everything about the competition,my encounter with Mrs Aare and my fall out with Oyinda and the rest of the girls. I didn't forget to tell him about the new friends I made. He was my personal diary after all.

"Hmmmmm" He sighed.
"Dad? What's wrong?" I asked worriedly.
"I'm just really proud of you. I know I've not been available but I'm glad you handled things well." He said.
"Daaaaddd..." I said with a shaky voice.
He hugged me and it felt like home. My "home" was finally home.
"I missed you so much darling."
" I missed you too dad."
He kissed my forehead and we remained in that position till mum called us to eat.