Chapter |5| Just Friends

E M E R Y ' S P.O. V

I manage to escape work early for once. The adrenaline from anticipating tonight has finally kicked it and I'm gleeful, skipping up every step to my apartment - and that's a lot of fucking steps - until I finally reach my floor.

Kai invited me out to the hottest club in the city, Ghost, which I just found out is owned by Aaron Romano. I was afraid that meant his sister and her husband would be there tonight, because I'm not going to lie, they intimidate the fuck out of me, but he said they try and stay home as much as possible with their kids, especially since their youngest is only a baby.

We've been conversing through text as much as possible. My job makes it difficult to call but on my lunches I try too. Then we spend the thirty minute break discussing stupid pointless things that always ends in me bursting out laughing.

I don't think I've smiled more than I have in this past week, and we haven't even met up yet.

My mind goes to shaving as I step into the shower. Legs are a definitive, the course stubble cannot pass tonight, but after I finish, I look down at my nether regions.

Yikes. I've forgotten how long it's been since there was a chance anyone would actually encounter it. Too long, from the thick bush that's grown out. My vibrator actually broke yesterday because I've been using it so much but sex is usually never a priority in my life.

And it's the finding someone that takes too long.

Should I...no, you're friends. Just friends, he made it explicitly clear and at least thing will help maintain that policy.

I set down the razor and finish washing my hair. The amount of time that goes into my hair is ridiculous but I pride myself on the glossy red hue.

The dress I bought for tonight is ridiculously sexy. I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. The back descends so far down that an inch further and my ass crack would be showing. Then there's a deep v neck, that ruched up slightly and the material ends barely mid thigh.

I liked the colour. That's why I grabbed it quickly during my break on Thursday. The emerald green material glitters under light, but I'm not sure that makes up for the lack of material.

Fuck. I only have an hour until I'm supposed to leave and everything I else in own is dull in comparison.

I quickly shrug it on, and then set on my hair. Straightening it, then curling it and setting with a shit load of hairspray. I cough violently, choking on the aerosol.

My makeup is minimal since most of it is expired. Some eyeliner, red lipstick and a little highlighter. I stare at myself in the mirror.

Am I trying too hard? This isn't a date, and this is more than I would try for a date. Yet, Kai is rich, so he's probably used to the extravagant. I won't be anything special or stand out, this club is supposed to be for the insanely wealthy.

It's true. I googled it.

Truthfully though, deep down I want to impress him. Even if we are just friends.

My Uber pings on my phone that it's arrived and I take the elevator down since my heel prohibit stair walking. My neighbour enters alongside me and lets out a long whistle.

"Hot date Emery?" I grin.

"I'm only meeting a friend."

"A lucky friend." He's shameless but harmless, unlike Jason.

"Are you flirting with me Mr Jenkins?" He blushes, smiling gently.

"Hey, can't blame an old man for trying, but you be safe out there. All sorts of creeps these days, thinking a beautiful woman means they can prey on her." Don't I know it.