Chapter |12| Mother In Law From Hell

E M E R Y ' S P. O. V

I yank out my helix piercing, as well as the other two I have littered on my ears, leaving only a diamond stud in each.

Just as my mother loves.

God this night is going to kill me.

My parents have already expressed their displeasure that I'm bringing around my boyfriend of five months. Not to the mention the fact his last name is Romano and his occupation title does not resemble Doctor in anyway.

I've already briefed Kai on what to expect. The last boyfriend I brought round was obliterated with questions regarding foetal medicine. He was a nurse, and I liked him but that wasn't enough for my overbearing mother.

"Can you put this on for me?" I glance back at Kai through our low light bedroom.

He grabs the steel chain and delicately drapes it around my neck. I stifle a moan as his fingers dance along my bare skin. Then brushes my hair over one shoulder so his lips can meet the cold skin there.

"How long do you think we have?" I feel his fingers trail down my spine, lingering over the zip on my dress.

"Definitely not long enough to fuck." My mother is surgeon. She would be able to deduce our lateness and my wild hair as for us favouring sex over punctuality.

"But long enough for me to make you cum so hard you forget all worries." Kai dips his head lower, working his imprint on my cream skin. His hand skates up my thigh now, dipping under my dress.

Uh fuck. "Kai," I wrench away from him, standing by the dresser so there's a good foot between us. "We can't. You don't know my mother. She'll sniff out my post orgasmic glow and hate you even more."

He fights a smile. "How can she hate me? She doesn't even know me."

"You didn't graduate Harvard with an MD, you hear a rule and see it as a challenge to break, you're completely undisciplined and you smile. Way. Too. Much."

That only widens his grin.

"She hates smiling? Next you'll be telling me she dresses in green fur at Christmas and steals all your presents."

"My mother would never dress as the grinch. It's too much fun, but she did give me a Marnie doll once with its head decapitated and tell me to fix it."

"What the fuck?"

"I glued it back on but she said in real life Barbie would dead without a head, even if she lacked a brain to begin with."

"Fuck. It's official. I'm scared of your mother."

I laugh, walking into his open arms. I love his hold, his hug. He gives the best hugs but I'll never tell him. It'll inflate his ego too much.

"I know it's not fair. Your mother is so nice and warm. She's like a care bear."

"My mom is like a care bear."

As we pull away, I stare up at him. Lip pouting and puppy dog eyes on full display. "Promise that no matter what happens we don't like her come between us. My mom is vulture for all my relationships. There's only one she been one she's accepted and it's because she set us up. Just promise me you don't let her scare you off."

"I won't Emery. I've seen scarier things than your mom." He isn't joking like usual. Instead, his eyes are almost haunted.

"Like what?"

Suddenly, he snaps himself of whatever stupor he was just in and grins. "Like Kieron buck naked with a rash all over his ass. God, Hawaii did him no favours." He laughs but I can hear the sadness in his voice.