Big Mistake

Cheng sat up on his bed, and checked the time. It was 3 a.m. He checked his contact list, and found Chen online. So he was right. He sighed in disappointment, in himself. He knew what she would do. But he had chose to ignore it. Not now, though.

-----------

I sat for hours, as I later realized. Time flew by, as I practiced, and practiced. Every victory made me want to test my luck, and every defeat made me fix my mistake. I sat for hours re-playing the footage, taking notes of my playing in the match, Tai's play, and my current play-style. Suddenly, a cup dropped in front of me. I took one look, and went back to my game. I was too busy to pay attention.

The person who kept it, covered my eyes with both their hands. Reflexively, tears started flowing out of my eyes. The only person who would do that for me, was Cheng. He was the only one I could confide in, not even Yao. He sat next to me, and wiped my tears. It triggered a memory of us, every day in school as I got bullied by the other kids, he would cover my eyes, and I would tell him.

"I lied. I don't feel okay.. I feel guilty about today. I let all of you down. I know nothing about Aobozu. I'm not the top Aobozu-" Cheng cut me off, as he hugged me. It was sudden, but comforting. He looked at me with sympathy, and empathy.

"Don't beat yourself up. Mistakes happen. I've made a lot myself. You're in your run-in period, it happens all the time in E-Sports. It's a feeling you've got to get used to. Your brother was defeated by a junior at TAT in a match. That junior was me. And that happened after about 20 matches with him winning each time." He said. I knew about this, but I chose to shut up. It would maintain the atmosphere too.

"You'll have a second chance at beating him. That, I can promise you." He said, a flame in his eyes.

+---×---+

The next morning was.. eventful. Hurtful comments about me were trending. I was hurt, not going to lie, but not majorly affected. I stayed in bed, crying. This hate was overwhelming, and I take back what I said before.

------------

"That TAT is a bunch of jerks. Why did the upload the practice match?" Chubby huffed, reading a comment on his computer.

"They stirred the pot first, and forced the club to respond. Then they targeted Chen, and uploaded the recording without permission. They influenced the netizens to cyber-bully our new Topsolo." Ming explained, as all the people in the living-room paid attention to him.

"They are shameless." K responded, with a look of disgust on his face.

"Despicable and shameless." Chubby added.

"Yao. Your friend is having mood-swings. Your help is needed... It is my fault. I didn't stand up to the club, and let her be bullied." Rui said, calmly. Yao nodded. Her friend was miserable, yet Yao couldn't do anything to help.

"She's been here, less than two weeks, and been broken by Ah Tai. Will she stop playing?" K questioned, and silence fell over the room. No one knew what exactly to say. It was a big mistake, but it wasn't her fault.

"Is she depressed? She's been in her room for a whole day." Yao said, shattering the veil of silence over them. She was right. Chen was very depressed.  

"She has to learn sustaining these injuries. She is a rookie, after all. It's her first time playing professionally. She used to play as a hobby two years ago, and was quite popular as Chidi." Ming continued. He was right, a person of wisdom. Someone who had experienced the same.

"We should try to understand her, and help her." Yao added. Everyone agreed. They were going to try their best. I should be better to her, K thought, as he remembered something from years ago. She's my friend too.