Awkward Seconds Of A Pause

I was experiencing a flurry of emotions, for someone so bland. I remember the time I cried, that day, when Cheng comforted me. Yao comforted me. They told me it was fine. I wasn't with him, and I was my own person. I knew that, but sweet stuff like this.. It was sentimental. And I was basically being pulled down by Gunhyeok. He was six feet, and towered over me. His cheeks were flushed, another sign of drinking. He was unsteady, and I couldn't support him, so I dragged him to a bench near the base.

"Chen, I'm really sorry. Look, I wanted to go to the World Championship with you, and win the trophy for TAT. I ignored you because Dad told me.. That day, the way he covered you with his coat.. are you with him now?" Gunhyeok trailed off, as I looked at him with a frown. What did he think? I was dating Cheng? I was not. But, it was somewhat obvious. Even though it wasn't true. 

So, I was trying to help Gunhyeok. After all, it's been around two years. Maybe more. I was extremely uncomfortable, though. Just then, Cheng approached me. "I need to borrow money, to buy candy. Give me some. I'll return it to you later." He said, as I handed him the money without question. He was trying to help me, a little subtle though. I need real help. "Please?" I mumbled, sitting on the bench, with Gunhyeok leaning on my shoulder. 

"By the way, Gunhyeok, you should really consider telling your teammates where you are. I do not want Liang Sheng calling again. Also, let me re-state the facts. One, don't take it the wrong way, but you are very drunk. Two, Chen doesn't like you anymore. Three, she is going to the finals, on her own. For this team. The trophy already has ZGDX's name engraved on it. Anyway, I should get going. See you around." Cheng said, casually. I smiled at him awkwardly, as he looked at Gunhyeok with a strange expression on his face, before leaving. I turned to Hierophant, who was still drunk, on my shoulder.

He had enough sobriety to understand Cheng's meaning. "Please. Don't do this to me." He said, looking me in the eye. Now that I think about it, there were way too many problems in his statement. I stood up, as he did too. He had that much energy, and made me drag him. "Gunhyeok, let's just leave it at that. You're very drunk, it wouldn't be good for the fans to see you like this. I'll drop you back to base." I said, heading towards the gate. He blocked me with his arm.

"So what are we now?" He asked, still looking me in the eye. "Friends." I said coldly, still trying to go to the gate, but he gripped my arm. "Since we're now just friends, can we have one last hug?" He asked, as I contemplated. It was a final good-bye. I opened my arms, as he hugged me tight. I was a little taken aback. For those moments, I could feel his heartbeat, and that's all I could hear. I abruptly pushed him away, lightly. "It's getting late. You should get back." I said, as he stared at me. He smiled, a smile reminiscent of happiness, and full of regret. 

That's the best we could do.

He exited the base, with one last glance at me. 

This is good-bye, it seemed to say. So did I.

---------

I sighed, walking back to base. The chilly air touched my skin, making me shiver. But, there was a certain freshness to it, which made me smile. My official account on Weibo was untouched, so I decided to change that. 

'Everyone, take a deep breath, and dream big. Tomorrow is a new beginning.'
I sent, and turned off my phone. I felt a little light-headed, as my brain registered calm and serenity. I continued walking, as I saw Cheng just waiting, on the side of the road, with a lollipop in his mouth. He still ate candy. The stick was downright visible. I walked up to him.

"Did you make up with him?" Cheng asked, as I stared at him. "No." I replied, calmly. "Then why did he hug you?" Cheng asked, very serious. If I didn't know any better, I would say he was jealous. Gunhyeok is just my... But, hold up. "How do you know that?" I asked, even though I had a suspicion. Where did Ai Jia disappear? To report for Cheng? Hmm.. he doesn't have the courage. There must be someone else. Jinyang, maybe?