Chapter Ten

The day was turning to evening when Luca finally made it to the casino. They'd stopped to eat at some greasy burger joint. After that, they ended up on a long, dull road with nothing but trees.

Kit decided to take a nap and leave him to his boredom. The girl slept hard, damn. For the last hour or so, he was loud on purpose, trying to wake her to no avail. He supposed it was Friday after a long week; working must make people tired. Caring for his old man probably wasn't always easy. Even though she said he was nicer now, he couldn't deny that; he witnessed it when they overheard them chatting outside.

So what, though? The old man decided to be nice in his final days. That didn't mean Luca automatically had to forgive him. No matter how bad that hot little redhead wanted, him too.

"Just a goodbye.."

Could he give him that much? Stone was right about dead being dead, and Kit wasn't wrong when she said he'd regret it later. Of course, he would; he'd be an old man someday and full of regrets; he knew it. He just didn't know if he could do anything about it.

He'd dug in so deeply for so long; where to start?

He parked up close to the hotel entrance, then leaned over to poke at her arm. "Wake up, Kit Kat."

"Huh?" She had a confused look in her sleepy eyes as they opened, plus a bit of drool dripping down her chin. She quickly wiped it with her sleeve.

"Dreaming about me?" He guessed with a smirk as he prepared for her to hit him.

"Maybe I was," she said in a flirty tone instead; she tossed him a look and then exited the car.

She was doing her best, but he knew she was teasing him. He almost laughed at sweet little Kit, thinking she could beat him at this. He grabbed their bags and followed her. He was right behind her as she reached the door. He leaned over her slight form to open it, giving her very little space.  

"Tell me about your dream," he whispered into her ear as they stepped inside. They stopped between the two doors.

"It was hot," she nearly purred, "so hot.."

"Oh yeah?" He let his lip linger close to her ear as he whispered into it. He enjoyed the little goosebumps that formed over her neck.

"Mhm," she leaned back so her butt pushed into him. Fuck- she was hot.

"All the women-" she added.

"Other women?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah...and they all had torches-" her tone changed to amusement as she pulled away from him.

"Ha!" He scoffed, shifting away to hide how much her little game affected him.

"Burned you alive; it was so hot," she continued, erupting into laughter as she walked inside.

"Careful, you're cute, but you don't know who you're teasing." He followed her into the large, brightly lit lobby.

"Oh, I know exactly who I'm talking to," she countered.

He gave her one quick smack on her butt, and she whirled around in shock.

"What makes you think you can do that?"

He grinned, "You gonna slap me?"

"I should torch you," she muttered as she turned around.

"Oh, Cricket, you don't want to do that. You'd miss my pretty face too much."

"You are not calling me Cricket," she said quickly, "I'll live with Kit Kat."

"Aww, are you trying to compromise with me?"