Chapter Thirty Two

"I only need one of the pain pills today," Leonardo told Andre as he got the medications ready Saturday morning.

"Dad," Andre said with a sigh. "Why does this have to be a fight every day?"

"Because they make me cloudy! I want to remember today."

"Andre, just bring one along," Carly suggested.

She was wearing her funny pink fishing outfit, which made Leonardo smile. Andre even looked relaxed and casual in a pair of tan shorts and a white tee shirt.

"The second you feel the pain, you tell me," Andre warned as he packed it up.

"Yeah yeah, can we go already?" Leonardo was very excited to spend the day with everyone on the lake.

"Meet us outside. We'll be there as soon as we're done cleaning up." Andre directed as he grabbed the dirty dishes from the table.

Leonardo wheeled himself outside; instead of heading to Andre's van, he rolled over to the side-yard to check out the rose garden first. The pink rose finally opened; they had noticed it yesterday; he wheeled over it to get a closer look; it was just slightly larger but somehow even more beautiful.

"It's you, isn't it, Elizabeth?" He glanced behind him to ensure he was alone; he didn't need Andre, assuming he was losing his mind.

"I know it is, because this mysterious pink rose bloomed at least a week ahead of the rest. Maybe I'm an old fool grasping at straws, but I don't think so."

"Kit wanted to cut and vase it," he continued. "I told her not to; it didn't feel right somehow to cut it. You'd love Kit, I know you would. She's so special. She brought our Luca back."

A soft smile touched his face as he sighed softly. "When I see the way Luca looks at her with all that love and adoration, it reminds me of how you looked at me. He will be alright; she'll make sure of it."

"Then there's our Andre, too much like me for his good," he chuckled softly. "He's finally loosening up, though, love. Carly helps with that. Sometimes I wonder how both our sons ended up with such good women. You must've had a hand in it. In fact, I'm sure you did."

He heard a door opening, "Leo?" Carly called.

"I'll be right there, dear," he yelled back to her.

"We're going to the lake today, all of us," he told the pink flower. "I'll come back tomorrow morning to tell you about it. I'll come to visit this garden every day until we reunite. I love you, Elizabeth."

**

Stone and Jase rode along with Kit and Luca up to the lake. The sun was shining, and it was warm but not hot. They couldn't have asked for better weather. Despite the slight hangover and the breakdown over her mom last night, Kit was in good spirits for her birthday.

Leonardo and Carly were already there waiting at the lake when they arrived. They waved and smiled as they saw them coming.

"Where's Andre?" Luca asked as they walked towards the two.

"He went to get a boat," Leonardo said excitedly. "He'll come to pick us up at the dock."

"Happy birthday, Kit Kat!!" Carly raced over and wrapped her up in a hug as Kit grinned happily.

"Excuse me?" Luca accosted, "that is my nickname."

"And I stole it," Carly quipped with a wink.

"You can't have it! Kit Kat, tell her!"

Kit giggled out loud at Luca's offended expression. "At least she didn't call me Cricket."