Chapter Five

Luca knew he needed time to reel his anger after the fight with Kit. She blew him away when she slapped him like that. The girl was something else; no one had ever stood toe to toe with him like that. He couldn't deny he was impressed.

He knew drinking again was a bad idea. Instead, he drove around Willow Park. It was a great town. Even at night, he could appreciate its beauty. The mountains in this southern part of the state were lush and green.

He came across a huge lake set along a big park. It had several public docks for boats and fishing. He parked his black Jetta and got out. He walked up to the nearest dock and looked out at the water.

"What a load of bullshit," he said aloud, "Every day, we begged him to take us to the lake to go fishing. All we wanted was a town like this; all he cared about was the business."

"Now I'm supposed to feel bad that I don't want to revisit all that shit?"

"Screw that, Kit. I don't feel bad."

Why should he? Especially after what Leonardo did.

His anger slowly dissipated as he watched the waves rock the water back and forth. Voices from further into the park started to get louder. He raised an eyebrow in that direction.

"Stay the hell away from my girl, Jase!"

"Screw you, Kyle!"

"He's a freaking player, Jess!" The kid added in a pleading voice.

"Stop!" a girl's voice yelled," Both of you, stop!"

"Kyle, no!"

Luca sighed but got up and started to follow the voices. When he got closer, the girl screamed again. He heard a fist connecting with skin. He hurried then and ran. He arrived on time to find some dark-haired kid on top of a blond one about to pummel his face.

"Get off him," Luca said in a commanding voice.

The dark-haired kid looked back and sneered at him with these annoying thin lips.

"I don't have to listen to you,"

"You want to fucking try me?" Luca's voice lowered as he stepped a little closer. The kid gulped but tried to cover it up with a scoff.

"Come on, Kyle, let's just go." the girl, a tall, raven-haired girl with bronzed skin, was begging. Tears were steaming from her eyes.

"Whatever, not worth my time, anyway," Kyle muttered as he stood.

The blond kid sat up, sporting a swollen eye and an angry scowl.

"Jess, don't go with him," the kid sighed, totally defeated.

"Jase, please. Just leave it alone," she begged, "come on, Kyle."

She took Kyle's and drug him away. He was muttering stuff under his breath the entire way.

"Damn it," Jase swore as he spat out a chunk of blood.

"You alright?" Luca gave him his hand and helped him up. "I'm Luca; here, let me help you up."

"Jase, thanks, Luca."

"I can't believe she left with him," Jase muttered, then groaned at the pain in his eye.

"Can I take you somewhere, man?"

"Yeah, sure, why don't you bring me to Willow Grill," Jase agreed, "I could use a shot."

"Are you twenty-one?" Luca asked as he led the kid back to his car.

"My uncle Stone manages the place," he explained.