Chapter Twenty Eight

Leonardo was like a kid in the candy store the following day. He was so excited about their fishing day. Before anyone else even woke up, he'd gotten up early and wheeled himself downstairs. Kit was currently sitting at the table with him getting his medications ready while Luca finished making breakfast.

"Do I have to take two of the blue ones?"

"The doctor said you should, especially if you're going out for the day. The pain, Leo.." Kit said slowly.

"I don't feel much pain today," Leonardo countered, "I can bring a joint!"

"To the lake?" Andre had walked in and helped himself to a cup of coffee. "You trying to get Luca arrested?"

"Andre, it's me," Luca spoke as he brought the pan of scrambled eggs to the table. "I've done worse and not gotten arrested."

"Like?" Kit asked as she looked up at him.

"Don't worry about it," he said with his usual smirk.

"Probably best we don't know, dear," Leonardo patted Kit's hand.

"Leo, did you hide the pills when I wasn't looking!?" Kit shot him a look, and the sheepish look on his dad's face was a dead giveaway.

"I don't think so... but if we can't find them, perhaps I don't need them."

"Dad!" Andre shook his head and walked over; he plucked a bottle of pills from Leonardo's pocket. "Here, Kit."

"Ugh," Leonardo groaned.

"I know you hate these, but you can't hide them from me," she held back a laugh telling Luca he'd tried this before.

"They make me... fuzzy," Leonardo sighed, "I don't want that. I want to remember everything about today."

A lump formed in Luca's throat. He caught Kit's eye and understanding washed over her face.

"What if you take one, and I send one with Luca?" Kit compromised, "But if you start feeling pain, you have to tell him."

"That's a deal," Leonardo said as he put a scoop full of scrambled eggs on his plate. "You sure you don't want to come?"

"I'll go along next time," she patted his hand, "this will give me a chance to clean your room."

"Good idea. It's getting ripe up there," Luca agreed as he filled his plate.

"It is not!" Leonardo argued; he looked offended and irritated, so Luca opted not to poke the bear for once.

Andre's phone chimed, and he looked down at it, "Carly is wondering about making dinner tonight?"

"Carly wants to cook?" Kit asked with a bewildered look.

"She's been taking lessons," Andre smirked, "she figured in her hosting career, she'll have to cook sometimes. She wants to practice."

"I don't want to eat practice food!" Luca blanched at that, but Leonardo was smiling softly.

"She can hire a caterer at any event," Leonardo said as he looked at Andre. "She is doing this for you. Since you can't cook, she wants to learn."

"He's right, and how sweet is that?" Kit agreed, "Of course, she can make dinner for us."

"I did not agree to this!" Luca reminded his pesky little girlfriend.

"Okay, then order a pizza and eat it in your room... alone." She said with a pointed look. "All night."

"You're impossible," Luca grumbled.

"It's one dinner," Kit said with an eye roll, "you can handle it."