something better, something new | Vincent x Lovely

Warning: 1,600 words.

____________________________

'Looks like I'm gonna be here for a while, baby, I'm sorry 😔 How are you doing?' the notification on Lovely's phone read. 'It's alright, baby, I'm fine here. You should focus on the clan meeting' they replied. 'Alright, I'll see you soon, okay? I love you' Lovely replied before putting their phone down onto the the coffee table in front of the couch they're sitting on.

They look around the room, it feels weirdly empty. It almost feels forlorn. The house always felt like this without their boyfriend in it. But something about tonight makes the emptiness almost unbearable, considering this is the first time they've been alone in the house since they turned five months ago.

They could have gone to the meeting. It's not like they would feel out of place like they did before, specially the times Alexis would joke about how "electrifying" it would be to taste Lovely's blood. That won't happen now; they're now a part of the clan and they are Vincent's partner and progeny. So they weren't low on the power hierarchy either. It didn't happen on their first few meetings as a member of the clan. Other members treat them with respect; some close others like family. Nevertheless, they decided to sit this one out. The reason? They didn't know. Maybe they weren't feeling good, maybe it was the thunderstorm, they didn't try to wonder.

They roam around the house. From time to time, they vamp-speed floor to floor, amusing themselves as a result. Five months ago, walking up those stairs would take time, now they could do it in a snap. They felt silly laughing all by themselves like that, so they decided to take a rest. When they looked to their side, they saw the door to their old bedroom. The one they, Lovely, stayed in on the first stages of their relationship with Vincent.

Curious as to how it looks now, they go in. The room did not change, it's still the way it was the last time they stepped outside of it. Everything was the same, except, it gave them unfamiliar atmosphere, as though they have never, not once, slept in that room.

They sat on the chair by the window that's overlooking the view outside. The rain is pouring harder, and the lightning is striking more frequently, illuminating the dark room they're in, the thunder accompanying it almost deafening. Lovely keeps staring out the window. Lightning after lightning struck outside and they keep staring at it, longing for it after each strike. They slowly spread their palm out against the glass window, as though, eventually, the lightning would gravitate to their hand.

They sighed. They know it was hopeless, they know it was impossible, nevertheless, they held out their hand and tried to focus every fiber of their being into the palm of their hand. They tried really hard to recall the feelings and thoughts they got whenever they would conjure their power. It wasn't hard to recall. They got in that state of focus, but in the end, nothing came out. They got their hopes up and now they're crashing down. Even a little spark would be fine, even if it's the size of a dot. They wanted something, anything to come out of it, but nothing did.

Their eyes started getting watery, they felt a huge lump in their throat. Their chest ached, making it hard to breathe. Soon, they saw little droplets on their palm. They tried holding back the tears, but it just kept rolling down their cheeks.

Soon enough, they heard a knock on the door. "Lovely? It's me." The voice outside the door spoke. Lovely quickly cleaned themselves up before opening the door. Vincent stood there, his face a combination of glum and, perhaps, guilt. Lovely stood there for a moment. Their eyes widen as they realize that Vincent literally feels what they are feeling now. Their heart broke.

Soon, they stepped toward Vincent and embraced him tightly. "I'm sorry" they whispered. Vincent hugged them back telling they they had nothing to apologize for. After a few seconds, they both pulled away. Vincent cupped Lovely's cheek, wiping the tears in process. "What's got you feeling like this, baby?" He asked, his eyes filled with worry and care. Lovely looked hesitant for a second, but they, of course, are literally not able to lie to Vincent. "It's stupid" they answered. "Hey, it's not stupid if it's got you feeling like this" Vincent responded, the worry not leaving his voice.

Lovely sighed before beginning to speak. "It's just...I was staring outside and it was thundering and lightning was all over the place. It..." they took a deep breath, worried that what they're about to say might make Vincent feel bad. "Well, it made me think about my powers, then I...I tried conjuring it but nothing happened" the tears started to form in their eyes again. "I'm sorry, Lovely" Vincent spoke. "No, baby, don't be sorry. It's not your fault" Lovely defended "I guess this is just the first time it occurred to me that I miss it. I, I miss making the bulbs light up or off without having to press the switch, I miss having it in my palm, I miss experimenting with it. I miss getting out to the balcony and just letting it go a little out of control and it would just illuminate the whole place. I miss the days like this when I would try to merge my lighting with the ones coming from the clouds" their tears flowed uncontrollably the more they tried to hold it back.

Vincent couldn't help but tear up at his partner's disconsolated state. He felt helpless. There's nothing he could except hold his partner. "Lovely, I...I can't find the words to say right now to make you feel any better" Lovely didn't respond. They just poured their heart out, staining Vincent's shirt. He held them tighter. "I'm really sorry, baby, terribly, terribly sorry." Lovely looked up at Vincent. They weren't sure what he was apologizing for this badly. "You don't have to say sorry. I'm fine" they assured. "N-no. I wasn't saying sorry for that" Vincent responded, making Lovely give him a confused look. "I mean, I AM sorry you're feeling this way, but I'm not just apologizing for that.".

"What do you me-?" They cut their sentence when it hit them. Is Vincent guilty? Is he blaming himself for this? Is that why he was apologizing this bad? "Vincent, a-are you blaming yourself for what happened?" Lovely asked, holding Vincent's face in their hands, their eyes filled with love, and guilt for making their boyfriend feel guilty. "Lovely..." Vincent spoke as he took Lovely's hands off his face and clutch both their hands in his. "I'm the reason for every misery befallen you since the day you met me" Lovely was dumbstruck at Vincent's confession. "You... uh, b-baby, i-is that really what you think?" Lovely asked. Vincent tried to respond but Lovely spoke again "because if that's what you think then you're wrong. It's the opposite. Every single amazing thing that has happened to me is because of you. Because I met you. Because you chose to love me..." Lovely's tears started overflowing again, but for a whole different reason. "If I didn't meet you, I wouldn't have met that freak and I would never have known that I can use magic. I wouldn't have had the courage or strength to fight him if wasn't for the hope of seeing you again. If I didn't know that you'll be my side, I would've never have considered this life... Baby, not once did I regret being a vampire, even for a split second. Me missing my powers doesn't mean I regret choosing this life. So please don't ever blame yourself, baby. I might have lost my power but I got something much better in return, the whole of eternity with you..." Lovely held Vincent's face again as they speak, looking deeply into his eyes "If those choices are what it took to be with you like this, then I'd gladly choose to do it all over again without a second thought..." Vincent couldn't get a word in edgewise. He was spellbound by his partner's words, and knowing that they weren't able to lie to him, and he, them, make their words weigh more heavily. "I love you, Vincent Solaire, with all my being, forever and always." "Oh, Lovely..." uttering their name was all that he could muster. He was overcame with profound love and care for his partner and he could feel they hold the same for him.

He pulled them in close and they share a kiss long enough to render the storm outside inaudible.

<<<>>>

Sorryyyy...I didn't expect this to be this long, I swear. Once I started, I didn't know where to stop. I planned this to be short, but, oh well. Don't have the energy to make proper cuts either 😴

Hope you enjoyed!