the perfect mate | David x Angel (Part 3)

“So, what changed? Just tell me.” Angel asks, their eyes already devoid of hope, as though they already know what the answer to their question is.

David takes a deep breath to compose himself, then he slowly approaches Angel and sits next to them. "Nothing has changed. I'm sorry, I've just been all over the place lately"

"I can tell. You've been doing that a lot lately" Angel somberly replies

"I'm sorry I yelled"

"So? Tell me."

"Tell you what exactly?"

"What happened? What changed?"

"I told you, nothing has changed!"

"See? You're starting to yell at me again"

"Angel, I'm not yelling at you. I'm just reiterating what I said earlier"

"The previous times you've raised your voice at me, were those also reiterations? I know you've always found me annoying but-" Angel says, feeling a lump settle in their throat

"I don't find you annoying" he interrupts

"You do, maybe back then you thought it was cute, but lately, it feels like you're just tolerating me"

David looks at them with the same soft eyes "Baby, I'm not tolerating you. Nothing has changed about the way I feel towards you but-"

"But someone else came to the picture, isn't it? Or rather, someone came back" they interrupt

"No, it's like that. I'm just sorting with a lot of things right now. I'm overwhelmed and I don't know what to do" David say, rubbing his hand across his face and squeezing his nose.

"Can you tell me something, though?"

"Sure"

"Did you love them?"

David stared at them for a moment before answering "Yes. Yes, I did"

"Okay. You could've at least asked who I was talking about" Angel lightly jokes making David stare at them in realization. 

"Did you fall out of love for them or did you just drift apart?" they continue their question.

"It doesn't matter. You're my partner now" David replies with conviction.

Angel softly scoffs "that doesn't answer my question"

"Look, they're my pack member, I care about them" he explains.

"Do you still love them?"

"No" he answers quickly.

"Then what happened between you two, if you don't mind my asking?"

"We were in a relationship. It went on until my dad died"

"What happened when he died?"

"As you know, everything around me was just dark. I was handed my dad's title and I thought that was the only thing connecting me to him, so I focused all my time on learning to be like he was. I didn't have time for anything else. I shut everybody out, including Asher and...them. They kept reaching out, all of my friends tried to reach out but I wasn't reaching back. As I've told you, back then, it was hard to find the line where being an Alpha ends and David started. By the time I've come to terms with my new reality, I didn't know how to be with my friends and just be David anymore; and "Darlin" being a member of a pack that I now lead, I didn't know how to be their partner without my being alpha blurring the lines anymore. So I put a distance between myself and everyone else, including them"