the perfect mate|David x Angel (Alternative Part)

(a.k.a comfort for the Angel kinnies like me)

At the meeting

“Darlin” finally attends the pack meeting after that meeting with David. After David had explained the situation and Darlin’s entanglement with Quinn, pack members began swarming around them. Some are old members of the pack asking Darlin what they’ve been up to, but most of them just want to catch up. Asher, in particular, was all over Darlin’, asking about tons of different things; they grew up together as children, after all, along with Milo, David, Amanda, Christian and others. Like any old friends catching up after a long while, they find themselves reminiscing and laugh from time to time about the shit-starting things they’ve done as a group.

And like any new member of a group, Angel find themselves unable to relate to their childhood stories, so they excused themselves. Soon they regret coming to this pack meeting after all, or wishing Asher’s and Milo’s mates were there, at least they wouldn’t feel so left out. Either way would work.

Soon, they hear footsteps coming up to them.

"Hey, you okay?" David asks.

"Huh? Uh, yeah. I just needed some fresh air" they answer, startled.

"If you're not feeling okay, we can go home early" David offers.

"No, it's fine. You're catching up with your friends"

"That's done; the important things to catch up on anyway. I had to get out of there before Asher gets to our prenatal timeline. He's trying to get everybody nostalgic with him" he says in that usual tone he uses when he's talking about Asher.

Angel's brows furrow "And you don't like remembering the past?"

"It's not that. I don't really have much to reminisce about with them" he says nonchalantly

"Not much, huh?" Angel says to themself.

"Are you sure you're alright, Angel? You look deep in thought just now" he asks again.

"Yeah, I'm fine" they smile.

"Okay, if you say so" he says before kissing their forehead. "Come on, stand up, let's go home. I wanna get started on dinner early." He helps them on their feet.

"Are you that hungry?"

"No, but I want to have dinner early so we can get to bed earlier, for a change"

"Okay" they agree

At the house

David is chopping ingredients while Angel is sitting across him all quiet. They're just staring at the ingredients getting sliced. Soon, they notice David stop halfway.

"Angel, something's bothering you, what is it?"

They look up at him "it's nothing. It's just in my head"

"Well, then, penny for your thoughts?" he jokes

"It's nothing. It's not a big deal"

"It's a big deal to me if it bothers you this much" he says, washing his hands before turning off the cooker. He then sits next to Angel. "I also noticed you eyeing me from time to time when I was to Ash and the others"

"You noticed that, huh?" Angel looks down, embarrassed.

"What is it, baby?" he asks.

"Okay" they inhale to muster their courage. "Um, the other night, you know, when we had.."

"Yeah" David replies in understanding.

"I run into Asher at the store, we were talking and he mention you and 'Darlin' used to be..."close" " they quote.

"Okay..."

"So, um...well, how close were you?"

"Are you asking if we were on a relationship?" David asks with a bit of amusement in his eyes.

"Essentially...yes"

"Yes, we were in a relationship for a while but we ended it"

"Why?"

"We first drifted apart when my dad died. As you know, I shut everybody out. I realized I was hurting 'Darlin' like that. I apologized and I told them I needed to figure out who I am first, amidst the changes happening around me, and they agreed"

"What do you mean?"

"They said they want to know what they want, too. At that time, it was clear we wanted different things. We felt that we should widen our horizons first. I was gonna figure out how to navigate through being an Alpha and they wanted to travel, explore other places. Since our relationship was not that serious, compared to an adults' anyway, we decided to end it"

"So you ended on good terms?"

"I guess you could say that"

"Asher said you tend to get overprotective of them, is that true?"

"I wouldn't categorize it as being overprotective. I protect them, that's it"

"So, uh, were you...mates?" Angel hesitates to ask this one question.

"Yes, we did call each other mates but back then, we didn't really grasp the idea and gravity of what mates are and what it means to call a person your mate. Neither of us understood its totality as much as we do now as adults. For us, a mate meant someone you're inlove with"

"Oh, okay" the idea of David loving another person before them is heartrending.

David takes their hand "Angel, do you understand what I'm saying to you?"

"Yeah, you were inlove, then you broke up, no big deal" they speak rapidly again to prevent their tears from forming.

"Well, yes, that's part of it. But what I'm trying to say is that you are my mate, and that word never weighed heavier to me than it does now. My core lits up when I call you my mate and when I call your name. And when you call out my name, my core practically reaches out to you."

Angel stays silent and just intently listens to David

"I know it's probably hard to believe me because it's all so abstract, but I mean it." David says solemnly like he's convinced his mate won't believe him.

"I believe you" they confirm with a smile

David lets out a relieved sigh "Come here" he kisses them tenderly before hugging them. "I know you have qualms about our relationship when pack dynamics are made apparent, but I meant it when I said you're my perfect mate"

Angel pulls from the and looks up at him "you really do?"

"Yes. All the things that have happened in my life? I wouldn't have made it through them without you. I was having a hard time separating my personal life from my role as Alpha, but when you I meet you, the lines started to clear out. You helped me find a balance and you inspired me to reconnect with the family I was losing. You've helped sort the ups and downs in my life, you make me a better person, Angel. Truly, the perfect mate I could ever ask for."

Angel was at a loss for words. They just burst in tears and hug him tightly.

"Shh... it's okay, just cry it out" David comforts while his mate soak his shirt with their tears.

"I love you so much" Angel muffles

"I love you, too, more than anyone" David replies. "I'm sorry for my recent actions that made you to doubt that" he continues.

He holds them there in comfort for few good minutes until it was interrupted by Angel's stomach growling, making both of them laugh.

"Come on, help me with these so we can put food in you. If you chop this up, I'll hold you from behind" he winks.

"Okay" Angel says, perking up at the offer

<<<END>>>

I needed to write this after the previous chapter.