4. Just an illusion

Minutes later, the entire group gathered for lunch together in the hospital cafeteria.

Mike and Will were quieter than usual, since they could not continue their conversation in front of their friends for obvious reasons.

The tension was palpable at this point.

- Hey uh… I was thinking of going for some burgers tonight. You know, to spend some time together. It’s friday. We haven’t had a proper meeting since you guys arrived from California... and we don’t know when Vecna is going to attack again. - Lucas proposed, looking at Mike and Will.

- Sounds good to me. - Will replied, still looking at his plate. - I’ll tell El when I’m get home.

- Same here. - Dustin added, smiling.

- I’m in. - Mike said, also looking at his plate.

As if both he and Will were trying to avoid meeting each other’s eyes.

- Cool. - Lucas smiled.

- Do you think we’re gonna find a burger joint that is still open in Hawkins? - Dustin asked.

- Of course, Dustin. People need to work. - Lucas replied. - I wish I could say the same for the arcade, but all of their games are out of service due to electrical shorts generated by the gates. - He added.

- What?! - Dustin, Mike and Will exclaimed at the same time.

- Not the arcade - Will said, sad.

- It’s the worst day of my life. - Dustin exclaimed.

Hours later, the group met at the burger joint next to the arcade, the place they always used to go years ago.

On one side of the table, Lucas, Dustin and El were sitting together.

- This is delicious. - El exclaimed.

- I know, right?! - Dustin replied - I'm glad you finally tried one of these burgers.

Across the same table, Mike, Will and Erica were sitting together.

- Remember when we always used to cut up our burgers and swap ha-

- Halves? - Will interrupted Mike, handing him a half burger that he had already cut for him.

- I knew it. - Mike said, also handing Will his half hamburger. - Extra catsup? - He asked.

Will nodded.

- Extra cheddar? - He asked.

- As always. - Mike replied.

They both smiled and blushed a little.

They used to have dinner there often when they were kids, but this time it felt different.

- Hey extra-nerds, could you pass me the salt? - Erica interrupted the moment.

-Sure. - Will said, nervous.
- Sorry. - Mike said at the same time.

They both extended their hands to reach the salt.

Their hands met while they both grabbed the salt shaker at the same time. And, apparently, none of them had any intention to release them.

They blushed again.

- For today, please - Erica said, sarcastically.

- Oh, sorry. - Will said, handing the salt to Erica. - Sorry. - He repeated, this time talking to Mike.