6. Away

That night, Mike went to bed knowing that he, alone, pulled Will away from him. Just because of his insecurities and the fear of his own feelings.

But the feeling of regret was growing inside of him, with every second. He could not just forget and get over Will overnight. That was impossible. Mike would probably never get over him.

Hours ago, Will held his hand, and it was beautiful. Mike wanted to live in that moment forever, even when they were in danger. Real danger.

So, the only way for Mike to get over Will and move on was to just… ignore him. To pretend he didn’t even exist. At least, for a few days.

That idea sounded like a genius plan for Mike’s shattered heart.

On the other hand, Will, who could not even close an eye, knew that he had to let Mike know his feelings were true, it was not necessary for him to say it, just to show it..

The look on Mike's face when Will confronted him at school hours ago, said a lot without even using a single word. Mike was hurt, just as hurt as Will. They needed each other.

He could not bear to be away from him anymore.

If only it was as easy to do as it was to say…

The next morning, the group met again.

- If the government is here it’s because they know El is here. - Nancy said.

They were now gathered at Hopper’s cabin, planning their next move.

- I don’t know. There are many other reasons. Like, maybe they’re here because of the four giant opened gates in the middle of Hawkins. - Robin said, sarcastically.

- Well, that’s an option. - Nancy replied, sarcastic too. - Thanks, Robin.

- Whatever they’re here for, they can’t find any of us. - Jonathan said.

- If they see us, they would probably follow us, trying to find El. - Will added.

- So what should we do now? - Lucas asked.

- Try to find out what they’re looking for. We’re gonna go around Hawkins in pairs, so we can see where they're spying the most. - Hopper replied, joining the conversation and placing a map of Hawkins on the table.

- We can’t lose one more second. - Nancy said.

- We gotta go now, okay? So, Robin and Steve, Lucas and Dustin, Mike and Will-

- Can I go with Lucas instead? - Mike interrupted Jonathan.

Jonathan looked at Will, confused, as Will rolled his eyes. Mike didn’t even say hi, he had ignored him the whole day.

- No plans changing now. - Hopper said.

- It’s okay, I can go with Dustin. - Will said, serious.

- Uhm… Fine. - Jonathan continued. - Lucas and Mike, Dustin and Will, El and Nancy….

A few minutes later, when Jonathan finished organizing the groups, the first group headed straight for Argyle's van.

Jonathan, Argyle, Will, Mike, Dustin and Lucas were in there. The older ones would take the four friends to Hawkins suburbs.

Mike sat next to Dustin, as Will and Lucas sat behind them.

A few minutes later, when they were already in the town, they had to start dividing the group to begin the spying mission.

- Radios on? - Will asked.

- Yes. - Dustin and Lucas replied.

- … Mike? - Will asked again.

- Yes. - Mike muttered.

Will noticed that Mike really didn’t want to say a word to him. His silence was even more painful than a full rejection.

- Okay…. Dustin and I are gonna leave now. We’ll check the southern entrances to the suburbs, and you’ll keep us updated about the northern ones, alright?. - Will said.

- Okay. Be careful, guys. - Lucas said.

- Same for you. - Dustin replied.

Mike still didn’t say a word, but watching Will as he left the van, covered in a hood, was scaring the hell out of him. Why on earth did he leave him alone?

Mike kept glancing nervously down the streets as they got away from the entrances.

But, it didn't take more than a few seconds for Argyle to stop the van again, when a monstrous scream sounded from the suburban driveway.

Then, gunshots could be heard too.

Argyle receded the van a few meters as Will and Dustin got closer as fast as they could.

- Okay, we have good news and bad news. - Dustin said, altered. - The good one is that we already know why the government is here. The bad one is that they’re here because the monsters are already getting back to Hawkins.

- Let’s get back to the cabin. - Jonathan ordered.

- We can’t go there. - Will said. - The demogorgon appeared behind us because I was there…. And if we go back to the cabin they will know where El is, and they’ll look for her.

- How do you know that? - Lucas asked.

- Because he is angry. I feel it. - Will replied.

Mike’s eyes widened as he looked at Will for the first time in the whole day. Will was in danger, again, and Mike was really, really worried about it.

- Argyle, just drive around the suburbs for some minutes till we lose the monster and then go to my house. - Mike said.

Argyle obeyed and kept driving until they were out of danger. Then, he went straight to the Wheeler’s house.

When the group arrived, they got out of the van and quickly entered the house.

- I’m gonna call the others. - Jonathan said.

- Okay. - Mike replied. - Tell them to hurry up.

Jonathan nodded and grabbed the phone attached to the wall in Mike's basement.

Will couldn’t help but feel like he was a stranger in that house, even when he spent his entire childhood there. Even more time than in his own house.

- Can I… use the bathroom? - He asked.

Lucas and Dustin got confused by hearing Will’s question. He basically lived there.

Mike nodded and then looked away, trying to focus on something else.

Will walked into the bathroom, holding back some tears. Mike was not talking to him at all, home didn’t feel like home anymore and, now, a wave of interdimensional monsters were following him. It was definitely not the best day for Will. He just wanted it all to end.

Maybe he could not stop the monsters on his own, but maybe he could try to solve one of his problems.