5. Lies

The next morning, Will and El went to Hawkins High School.

Mike was standing in the doorway, waiting for them, leaning on a wall to escape the sunlight.

He was even wearing sunglasses.

Will and El got out of Jonathan’s car and approached Mike, who didn’t even move until they reached the main door.

- Hello, Mike. - El said.
- Hi, El. - Mike grinned.

- Hey  - Will said too.
- Hey…- Mike replied, hesitant.

Will noticed the awkward tension between them, but didn’t say anything.

Then, El, Mike and Will entered the school's main hall.

- There are so many things to do here. - El said.

- Yeah, totally. What do you want to do first? - Mike asked

- There are some kids reading books there. – El said, pointing to a group of kids and teenagers reading some books together while the adults were working. - Maybe I can help.

- Do you wanna join them? - Mike asked.

El nodded, with a little smile.

- Alright then, good luck El. We’ll be there, at the donations’ section. - Mike said, pointing to some boxes across the hall.

- Wait, El, aren’t you coming with us? - Will asked.

- Nope. I’ll be fine here. - El said, with a little smile.

- Uh… okay. Good luck. - Will replied, unsure, following Mike to the donations section.

Mike was still silent and wearing his sunglasses, and Will was really hesitant to say anything. He could see an annoyed expression on Mike’s face now.

- Whoa, you’re really afraid of being alone with me, aren’t you? - Mike suddenly asked.

Will panicked. He did not expect that question.

- Wh-What? No, no. Of course not. - He replied, nervous.

- Yeah, whatever. - Mike said, moving forward and leaving Will behind, who was really confused.

Will followed Mike, and, by the time he got to the mentioned section, Mike was already opening a box full of clothes.

- Are you just gonna stand there? - Mike asked.

- No, I was just wondering…. - Will said, opening another box.

“The ten-second rule. Think about what you're gonna say for ten seconds before giving an answer. That's how you'll be sure about it.”

Mike stood there, arms folded, waiting for an answer.

There was really nothing to think about, because things between them were already messed up.

- …Why did you say that? Will asked.

- Because it’s the truth. - Mike replied, rolling his eyes.

- It’s not. - Will confronted him.

- Then why do you always need company when I’m with you? - Mike asked, raising his voice.

- I just thought you would want to be with El. It’s not that deep. - Will answered, confused and upset.

- Well, you should’ve asked instead of thinking. - Mike said.

- Fine then, I'm sorry. - Will said.