Chapter 183: Last Place To Turn

The afternoon advanced, as the clouds gained their orange tint. In this glowing hour, Edward wandered the upper floor of the mansion, looking for Catoria. It had been two hours since her rant and his heart ached at the thought of another loss in his close circle. He continued onwards until he reached the west wing, walking past the rooms he used to negotiate with the succubus, still no sign. The pale vampire was beginning to lose hope, if he had any at all. His head became hazy and he couldn't focus. At this point, he needed a source of comfort, and he knew exactly where to get it.

In contrast, Vox was rather content with himself, whistling the tune of his accomplishments as he washed away the stains of his curse. Barring the blood and the feathers of his full candour, he was bliss. "It's a pity that it ended up this way, eh Cattoria?". As he thought about his success, he felt an odd sensation overcome him, an almost spiritual, powerful feeling. His eyes on the cold, dead husk of a succubus, tingles ran down his spine, not fear, but ecstasy to savour, to revel, to dream of his future.

He knelt down, feeling Catoria's face, its lack of movement filling him with an almost bewitching glee. His fingers moved swiftly, touching her cheeks pseudo-lovingly, caressing her forehead with his thumb. A smile slowly crept up on him; looking in her unmoving eyes, he could almost picture how to defeat the rebels. "How delightful...", he thought to himself. As he rose back to his feet, he noticed something strange, the door had swung open as a familiar presence stood beside him, though his expression was less so.

"Vox?", Edward called, perturbed at his view. His eyes welled up at the obscene sight, unable to believe what he was seeing. A sudden tightness arose within Vox's head, with the truth weighing down on his reputation. "What are you doing here!?", he trying to remain calm. Edward ignored the comment and instead tried to ask him another question. "Is Catoria?", his question fell on deaf ears however, as the fae pulled Edward into a hug, not allowing him to finish. "You seem tired, my sweet...", he stated soothingly, a seamless transition from his prior stress.

Edward struggled to push the fae off of him, eventually succeeding, "Let me go...this isn't the time to reminisce about our glorious days.", he spat out angrily. "Yes yes, I agree", Vox replied, "But don't worry, everything will be taken care of. I'll see you soon, darling". The boss pulled his partner back, "Can't you see what you're walking out on?", he exclaimed. Vox stared back at Catoria's body, "Yes, indeed, I can see", he agreed, "But there's things I have to attend to...". Edward glared at him puzzled, this wasn't the Vox he remembered. Right?

Vox nodded sadly, "Don't fret, darling, everything will turn out just fine...". The fae walked over to his desk, picking up the papers that were scattered all over it. "Vox, you're dodging the question! What am I supposed to do in the meantime? We aren't getting anywhere if you won't take responsibility for your actions!", Edward shouted exasperatedly. "I'm sorry dear...but right now, I need to concentrate on what's ahead of me, you know this, Edward", Vox responded. Edward sighed at his utter audacity, "You don't have the syndicate's best interests at heart, do you?".

"And what makes you say that?", Vox asked, his arms wrapping tightly around Edward's back, as if to overwhelm him. Battling the voice of love, Edward's view shot right through his lover's cover, "You know exactly what I mean, you bastard!". He got up from his chair and pushed against Vox's chest in frustration. "Every day there's more questions, why is that, Vox? Why is there so much uncertainty with you? It's like you're hiding something, just a substantial front. I bet you even planned this, for the syndicate to fall apart, for Rou and Catoria to die by your hands!".

Vox laughed bitterly, "Well it worked didn't it?" His tone grew serious once more, "Everything has already come down to this, Edward. You may want to reconsider what's happening here." The fae placed a gentle kiss on Edward's lips. To the boss, what once was the single spark in his life of darkness, was replaced by a constant burning pain; it burned like acid in his veins, it consumed every molecule, every cell, every atom within his being. He could feel everything around him crumbling around him, falling apart. The only thing left was this excruciating pain. And then...it disappeared.

"Get out, Vox! Just get out!", Edward yelled. However, Vox didn't move a muscle, "You're laughable for the boss of a crime family, you don't even get all your facts right!", he chuckled. "You're lying!", Edward growled back, but Vox carried on. "Though I admit that the whore on the floor is my doing, do you really think I had the heart to kill the man that was practically your son? I couldn't even finish the job anyway as he'd already done it to himself!". With that single comment, everything set in for Edward, but would his fate be destined as well?