Chapter 193: The Dust Clears

Finally, a relieving silence filled the air, broken only by a soft breeze blowing across the battlefield. Everyone looked towards Aster with surprise, wondering what his reaction would be. He turned to Fleur, who seemed as perplexed as he was, "That...wasn't easy...". Fleur nodded and took a few steps forward, "Aster, you're bleeding!", Aster blinked. It was true, a drop of stinging blood rolled down his aching cheek. But his eyes were set ahead, looking straight at Demitris, wondering if there was something, anything he could do.

"I love you, Aster, you didn't have to do that for all of us...", Fleur whispered, both her hands fixed on his he'd so he'd look at her while trying to get the courage to tell him what needed to be said. But the words never came out. Instead, Demitris sauntered towards Aster, stopping right in front of him. He reached out for Aster's hand in a gesture of friendship, yet the boy pushed his hand away without any hesitation. "Leave us alone, Demitris", Fleur barked, trying to sound strong.

Demitris turned away, keeling over in pain with each rotation. "Don't go anywhere, Demitris...", Edward called out. Demitris stood up, staring at Edward defiantly before reluctantly turning around to walk away from them. Edward's bright green eyes flashed, followed by an ominous growl that echoed inside Aster's ears while he was observing the exchange. "You will stay in the syndicate, we are a family, we fight together, yes?", he asked the incubus, his tone more like an order, an obligation for his subordinate.

"Demitris, it's not all bad. Vox is dead, remember...", Aster tried to call out. Before he could finish speaking however, Demitris cut him off, "I'm built for crime, I can't leave...". Edward took another step forward, "Everyone has made a lot of sacrifices, time to unite again.". The room fell deathly quiet as they awaited Demitris's response. Eventually, he sighed heavily, "I'll stay...". He paused, looking back and forth between Edward and Fleur, "I'll stay away from Aster...", he growled in a low tone.

Edward smirked. A sense of triumph washed over him. Demitris's presence seemingly faded away to most that see him, amplified more when the announcements rung in, blocking him out completely. "Now, let's talk about the future", he smiled as the rest of the syndicate stared at him blankly with complete devotion. Aster's stomach shrivelled up, watching Demitris be forgotten. "I guess this is my life now...", he whispered, before turning to the boss once more.

"We're going to need another capo...", Edward continued, "and then..." Before he could continue his sentence, Aster spoke up, ready to take the boss's orders for the first time in his life, out of obligation, not free will, a subconscious permission to speak being granted to him, "I will take care of that.". There was a tense pause. "But Aster...", Edward started. "You heard me. I want to lead Rou's squad, they need this...". Fleur gave her father a firm stare, "Then it's settled!", she insisted.

Edward cupped his daughter's cheek, "Fleur, you've grown so much over these months, it's scary to me. I'm just disappointed that I didn't encourage you until we were headed into battle...". Fleur smiled weakly, placing a reassuring hand on her father's arm. "I understand how you feel. All I want now is a new start, a chance to see where our journey leads", she explained. "I think we all do...", Sulena chimed in. "New webs of time are beginning.".

"But if there's another threat, do you think we'll survive? You heard Demitris, we're so beaten down that I don't even know we'll recover.", questioned Viper. Fleur's body shook as she raised her sword for the last time. "I'll make sure we do!", she announced. Her tone wasn't angry or demanding, it was resolute, a declaration of war against whatever it was that was going to come their way. She turned towards Aster, "I have to thank you for taking that last blow, I don't think I'd ever be able to repay you...". Aster bowed his head to her, "You don't have, it's everything he deserved after what he did to you...".

Craaq scurried towards the higher ups, with concerned tension in his face. "This is all well and good, but how are we going to rebuild our sanctuary?", he asked. All eyes went to Edward, Fleur and Aster. "We will make a new sanctuary", Edward declared confidently, and before anyone could say anymore, the door burst open and a group of soldiers poured out, "It's finally over!", Fleur revelled to Aster. "And now I get to spend my life with you...", Aster replied with equal enthusiasm, holding up his right arm, presenting a golden ring, shining with the hope of a bright future.

They shared their first kiss as if there were no other witnesses, the light radiating from it illuminating their faces. "Maybe this new future won't be as bleak as I thought...", Aster muttered, kissing Fleur's lips once more. They stayed like that in each other's embrace until the soldiers finally cleared their throats to remind them of the current situation. "Let's go home", Edward muttered with a warm smile, holding tightly onto both of their hands, intertwining their fingers as he led the way back into the mansion.