Chapter 189: Step Closer To Victory

The vampire's presence filled the scene, his face like thunder. "Vox...". Those were the only words he could say. As his adoptive daughter stared into his eyes with both hope and shame as he put her down, he made his way to the front of the battlefield, his mind fixed on the heartless, despicable fae. Finally, he found the words to say, letting the speech come out freely and without restraint for the first time in ten years. "We have some...unfinished business...".

Vox was unamused, "You know I could kill you right here...", he said, as if the boss was but another servant to him, utterly ignoring the many times he was willingly intimate with him. With no emotion whatsoever, the green man flapped his wings and aimed to charge at his former lover, but he was suddenly stopped in his tracks, a purple aura surrounding him. "I hate to do this...", Edward sighed. "However, you've made things impossible for me, for them. I demand you summon what they need to win, or you'll lose your life as I lost mine!".

"How unspeakably vague!", remarked Vox, assuming Edward to be ridiculous, but then his hand rose, as if subconsciously performing the action himself. "Why, why are you doing this? You love me, Edward...", the fae struggled. The scene was taken over by an overwhelming white light as Vox's power emanated. Edward was kind with his command, he could've killed the traitorous creature on the spot, but that small amount of love that remained inside him had dampened his spell, a spell that could guarantee a victory, or hinder it completely.

Meanwhile, far from the mansion's walls, Shiva and Demitris remained silent, until the two toned teleporter spoke up. "You say you ruined Rou's legacy by turning into a monster after he was gone, and took yourself between worlds when people tried to help, and then gave up on you when they realised it was too late?", he asked the shivering incubus. Demitris refused to look at him, the hideous compassion that was unnatural to Shiva, but as minutes passed, and the quiet became irritating, even for him, he responded.

"My parents gave up on me at the slightest sign of difference. It's like I was more destined to end up in a crime syndicate with each passing year. Those words, 'built for crime', haunted my every waking hour. By the time I was sixteen, I'd had enough of the taunting, the neglect, their favour of my feeble sister, who would've certainly got the same treatment as me had I not existed in all my destructive glory.". Shiva gave a genuine frown, not of pity, but of true empathy. "Why did you join the syndicate, even if it haunted you?", he questioned.

"I destroyed my path as I left that place, destroyed my sister too, though purely by accident. I ran onto the streets with no where to go, when I bumped into a stranger, Rou. As we talked, he knew me better than anyone, and finding out he was a member of a crime syndicate didn't phase me. I suppose over time, my stance changed, I associated the syndicate with him, his warmth, even as depression took over him. When he died, I suppose I went back to my old ways, my old doubts. That I was useless...".

Shiva looked into the incubus's yellow eyes, he saw the truth. The pure, raw, unrighteous truth, it made him seem like a liar in comparison. "It may seem crazy to you, but I relate to you, Demitris. I literally twisted time and space to feel something, anything that was meaningful.", he admitted. "It's impossible to tell how much I changed, and it eats at me if I don't distract myself, letting the chaos take over. You're real about your pain, something I can never do...".

Demitris closed his eyes as he let out a sigh. Then, slowly, he looked back at Shiva, his gaze was so deep and honest that Shiva almost feared he'd be able to glimpse into the depths of his soul. "You're right," Demitris conceded with a nod of the head. "It's worthless doing anything but accept what happened...". Shiva sighed, "And there's one thing I wish I could change...", his eyes locked onto the incubus. They stayed silent for what seemed to be hours, until Demitris broke the silence, "What is it? What do you need to change?"

Before Shiva could answer, something began blinking in the surrounding white. "Impossible...", thought both of them. The light intensified, until the endless limbo seemed almost dark in comparison. Both men covered their eyes, with a very real fear of being blinded haunting them. From the light, an enormous hand emerged from whatever realm projected the signal. Out of pure curiosity, Shiva approached the hand, Demitris following behind, shielding both himself and his companion with his membranous wings.

The hand slowly raised its pointer finger, clasping the others into a fist. It lowered the hand until the tips of the fingers were touching the tops of both the men's heads, as if it were checking them. When it did nothing more, fear chilled down Demitris's spine. "It's harmless, right?", he asked Shiva. "I'm not sure...", the teleporter replied. Suddenly, the palm of the enormous hand started to shake. With an immense roar, it opened up, grabbing Demitris, pulling him into the void it came from.