#12 | 𝑊𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑔 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒

By the sunrise, the agents were already making their way back to London. James took care of getting them in contact with Q, who sent them a private jet while Layla threw a look around the auction's party house. Well.. more like funeral house. Police officers were still by the spot and she couldn't make her way inside. All what she knew was they were in troubles. Big ones.
Once back in the cloudy, sad English city, the agents seemed like they didn't miss it, at all. Maybe they were afraid of what's coming. Maybe they knew.. what was coming.

"M is going to pull your head off! What do you mean Bones is dead!?" Will's voice yelled over Layla's, who both were in the farthest corner of Q's laboratory.
"Shhh. Keep your voice down or I'll be pulling your vocal cords out." Lay put her hand on William's mouth, eying him darkly. "It just.. happened."
"Nothing just 'happens', Lay." He took her hand off, placing his hands on his hips, frustrated. "Do you know the number of agencies going against us!?
Lay was already stressed enough because of James's actions. This last was called in for an interrogation session. And soon, her turn will come. Many consequences would result up because of their words, apart from their actions.
"Okay just- shut it for once and let me think of something."
"To what? Save your new boyfriend's skin?" Suddenly she pushed him against the wall, her right arm under his neck, looking up at him.
"He is not my boyfriend. He's my partner."
"Right and when will you turn this 'partnership' into a love'ish-ship?" He said quickly turning her around and blocks her against the wall, seats turning. For some reasons Will didn't like 007. And whatever reason that was, it surely holds some jealousy.
"Will, enough nonsense. What the hell is wrong with you!?" She pushed him off.
"Oh nothing. Nothing at all."
Their little fight got to an end when a guard walked up to them.
"Agent Moon, your turn has arrived."
Layla and Will exchanged one last look before to start following the guard, leaving Will behind her.

Her mind was rushing the whole time in the small free minutes she still had before to step inside the three-walls, one glass room. James and her didn't speak a word about what they had to say. Did he speak the truth? What was his version of saying? She can only cross her fingers and hope for a miracle.
One last breath and she stepped in.
The room was dark, lighted up by the only half-dying lamp hanging from the ceiling. The metallic table and chair were waiting for her, as whoever was behind the glass was too.
She took a seat and placed her hands on the table, her skin meeting coldness.
"Agent Moon Light, You are now being recorded. Any word can be used against or with your past actions. You have the right to remain calm and answer the questions in short replies." A male voice spoke into the speaker that was attached in the corner. "Let the quartermaster come in, please."
The quartermaster stepped inside, holding some papers in his hands and a pen. He looked as miserable as she was but both were trying to hide any fear sign. As he took a seat, he cleared his throat and put what he had in his hands on the table. He looked down at the first question and back at Layla.
"Full name."
"Layla Ashlyn." As she was speaking, he was taking notes and filling the gaps.
"Mission code."
"PB point two."
"What is your relationship with 007?"
"Work-partnership."
"What happened in the auction house?"
Layla felt her throat squeeze up yet no one was choking her.
"We were supposed to get files out and off Bones. Everything was going just well until.. um."
She paused. Q's facial features frowned and the tension grew between the two. Her heart was beating so fast she could hear it in her ears but she still hold a calm picture.
"Someone stepped in and took the shot." She simply said knowing very well that her lie couldn't be logically acceptable.
"Give in more details."
"I don't know who it was. Someone ran into the room and killed Bones before to get away."
"Get away?" Q raised his eyebrows at her.
"Something's wrong with your ears?" Layla scoffed, shaking her head. "This is totally ridiculous. We are wasting time!"
Q's eyes drifted towards the observa mirror that showed nothing but their reflection then looked back at Layla.
"I'm just doing what I'm told, agent Moon."
"Not you, Q. I know you're in there, M." Layla stood up and walked towards the mirror. "Pac-man holds every bloody card and you're here, mistrusting the agents you put in such a difficult line?" She chuckled ironically. "Well, shame on you."
"Your actions and results which are unsatisfying made me lose that trust." M's voice echoed inside the room through the speaker. "007 and you seem to be running in a circle like freaked-out bunnies while a murderous, madman is out there playing with fire."
"Oh right, now it's our fault? And I thought you'd lose selfishness with age."
Suddenly the room went quiet. Layla was too pissed to care about what she says. She sighed.
"Fine! You wanna know who killed him? I did. I killed Bones." She thought that taking the blame will just get things going. Layla wasn't planning on throwing James in just like that. Somehow she was protecting him.
The interrogation room's door unlocked, M standing by the entrance. "Go."
"What?" Layla looked up at her, confused.
"Go! Leave before I change my mind."
Agent Moon rushed to leave, not even asking how nor why did she let her go after everything she said. M knew that she was lying and she was right : they were wasting time. After all, M raised her. She knows Layla lies when she wants to protect someone.
"What's our next step?" Q asked, standing in front of M.
"Throw in searches about Pac-man. Anything you can find and get his position." M looked at Q like if he was the only key to make everyone take a jump to safety.
The young man nod his head and smirked. It was his turn to shine.