Chapter 18

Essence  

"So, how are you liking it out there so far?" Maya asked me through the phone. It was my first day in the A and I had only been here for about four hours and was already facetiming Maya.

"I don't know, it's too soon to tell. I think imma like it though." I said as I walked around Eli's two-story home. He had made some changes since the last time I visited, but everything was still really nice. After getting my things situated in my room, I took the time to explore a little. It was a bit surprising how organized the place was because Eli has never been a neat freak. I opened the door to the backyard and stepped outside and my eyes landed on the pool that I already made plans to get in later.

"Well have enough fun for the both us and make sure to keep me updated." She said as I took in the scenery of the backyard. Yeah, I was definitely gonna be spending the majority of my time out here.

"You already know Imma update you every fifteen seconds. I haven't even been here a full day and I had to call you." I replied before heading back inside. As nice as it was out there, I couldn't stay long, the sun was showing its whole ass at the moment. My journey around the house continued and my feet led me back to the upper portion of the house. Somehow I found myself in Eli's room in front of his large full length mirror. I reckon this mirror would look a whole lot better in my room.

"You know what they say about the A, right? It's where the fine niggas reside." Maya said as a smirk eased onto her face. Of course that would be the thing that's on her brain.

"And I'm sure that's true, but you know I'm not worried about none of that." I responded and it was the truth. Guys were still the furthest thing from my mind. As I continued messing around in the mirror, I saw something out of the corner of my eye that caught my attention. I turned away from the mirror and stepped a little closer towards it to get a better look. "I know he lying."

"What is it?" Maya asked. I flipped the camera around so she could see the pair of panties that peeked from under Eli's bed. "Oh wow. That's grown folk business. See why you shouldn't be in that man's room."

"Whoever she is, she just gon' leave without her underwear? Girl that's Fenty, she tripping." I said before I heard Eli call my name from downstairs. "I gotta go, I'll talk to you later."

I ended the FaceTime with Maya and made my way to Eli, who was standing in the middle of the kitchen with take out on the island in front of him. "Food for me? How thoughtful."

"I got you BBQ ribs, baked beans, and baked macaroni and cheese. It's from one of my favorite spots, so I know you gon' love it." He said as I opened the plate of food. My mouth watered as the smell of it hit my nose. "I know you're trying to get situated and everything, but after we finish eating I wanna take you over to the studio. You gotta get familiar with it, it's a little different from the one in BR."

"Sounds good to me." I agreed.

"I also wanna set a few ground rules." Eli stated, sparking my interest. This should be good. "For starters, stay out of my room. That's my domain, just like your room is your domain. Imma stay out of yours, you stay out of mine."

"What imma do in your room anyways?" I questioned. He had used panties on his floor and wasn't no telling what else you'll find up in there. Not a soul wanted to be in his room.

"I don't know, just stay out of it. Secondly, if you see a box of Frosted Flakes in that pantry, do not and I repeat do not touch it. No, you cannot have none, that's my cereal." He added, amusing me even more. I really wanted to laugh, but I was actually trying to take his little ground rules seriously, so I tried not to. I was confused as to why he thought anyone would wanna touch those nasty ass Frosted Flakes, but I just let him continue.