Chapter 1

Essence

My anxiety seemed to reach an all time high as I waited for the judge to announce the final verdict. Silence echoed throughout the courtroom as my heart continued to beat rapidly against my chest. There was no way they would convict me, they couldn't. I was only twenty years old with way too much potential to just spend the next twenty five years of my life locked up in some raggedy prison. My stomach was in complete knots and it was getting worse by the second. I even felt my hands begin to tremble a bit. If the judge didn't speak soon, I was afraid they would have to pick me up off the floor cause' I felt like I could pass out at any given moment.

"The court finds the defendant, Essence Allen, not guilty on the count of second degree murder." The judge says, and I instantly released a breath that I didn't even realize I was holding.

My body stood still as I drowned out the rest of her words. Not Guilty. It took a few seconds for everything to resonate and the moment it did, warm tears began to run down my face. Everything else was a blur, the feeling of arms being wrapped around me brought me back to reality.

"Oh baby, you get to come home! Thank God." My mom, Vanessa Allen, said as tears ran down her face as well. I could only imagine how horrible we both looked ugly crying in the middle of the courtroom like this, but we couldn't help it.

More and more arms were thrown around me as my family trapped me in the center of a group hug. I was still in shock though. After spending three months in jail and dealing with the stress of this trial, I could finally go home. I wanted nothing more than to wipe my hands clean of this entire situation and move on with my life. After the lengthy release process, I was free to go. The car ride home was strangely soothing for me. Just being in the presence of my mom, my dad, and my little sister, made me feel like everything would be okay.

"You know you're going to church with us this Sunday, right?" My mom asked, looking back at me from the passenger seat. "I saw the perfect dress for you over at this boutique the other day."

My face scrunched up a little after hearing the word dress, she knew dresses weren't really my style. I didn't mind though, I was so happy to be out, I'd wear a garbage bag to church. My mom and dad weren't hardcore religious Bible thumpers, but they were God-fearing people, especially my mom.

"Nessa let her relax a little bit before you start trying to dress her up." My dad, Marcus Allen, said before glancing at me through the rear view mirror. "You know your aunts and them are back at the house, they can't wait to see you."

And just like that, my excitement to get home instantly went from a ten to a two. All I wanted to do was take a hot shower, get a plate of my mom's cooking, and take a nap in my comfortable king size bed. I was not in the mood to answer any questions or discuss my relationship with Jeremiah. I didn't know when or if I would ever be ready to discuss Jeremiah with anybody.

"I bet." was all I said.

Everything played out exactly how I knew it would. As soon as I got home and saw all the cars in the driveway and heard the loud voices of all my family members throughout the house, I kissed my bed and my nap goodbye. Someway somehow, I got stuck talking to my Aunt Lisa. Well, more so listening, since she was doing most of the talking. My Aunt Lisa was the aunt that only came around for the holidays or when some shit pops off and she always found herself in the middle of someone else's business. Her intentions were good, it was her approach that rubbed people the wrong way.

"It just doesn't make any sense to me, you know. You're such a beautiful girl, I don't understand how you can end up in a situation like this." Aunt Lisa said as a look of concern covered her face.

I didn't attempt to add to the conversation, I just stared at her while she talked.

"And you didn't bother to tell any of us what was going on. Honey, if Jeremiah was beating on you, then---"

"Lisa, leave that damn girl alone." My Aunt Leslie interrupted.

My Aunt Leslie was the oldest sister out of her, my mom and my Aunt Lisa and she was the aunt that I was closest to because she was an easy person to talk to and right now I couldn't be more thankful for her interruption. I didn't want to get into my relationship with Jeremiah and what I should have done, it was a touchy subject that I just wanted to move on from and leave in my past.

"All I'm saying is that we're family and if something like that was going on, then she should have came to us about it." Aunt Lisa argued.

"I understand that, but maybe she doesn't want to discuss all of that right now." Aunt Leslie responded.

As they went back and forth, I figured that would be the best time for me to make my escape. On my way to my room I stopped by my parents' room and peaked my head through the door. My mom glanced up from the clothes she was folding and gave me her attention.

"Everything alright, baby?" She asked.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I was just about to take a nap. I've been downstairs talking to Aunt Lisa." I told her and we shared a knowing look.

"Lisa, huh? Well, you know how she is. I hope she didn't say anything to upset you." She said as she put the clothes she folded inside their designated drawers.

"I think I got out of there just in time." I smiled slightly. "Have you spoken to Eli? I've been out for a few hours and I haven't heard from him yet."

Elijah was my older brother, he was twenty five going on fifty and super protective. We've always had a great relationship since we were little kids. There's been a slight strain in our relationship as of recently and I know it's because he feels a way about certain secrets that I've kept from him, but he just doesn't understand. He's a guy and he's my brother, there's certain things that I just don't feel comfortable discussing with him.

"I sent him a text earlier about your release, but he hasn't responded. You know how busy he always is, I'm sure he'll call you soon."

"I hope so." I said before making my way to my room. I was a little sad that I hadn't heard from Eli, but I knew he would reach out to me before the day was over, at least he better. Like hello?? Your favorite sister is out of jail, why aren't you celebrating? I beat my case, why aren't you blowing up my phone? I know you give a fuck.

When I finally reached my room, I jumped for joy on the inside. It's been a while since I'd been home. Before everything transpired I was spending nights at Jeremiah's. Everything looked the same though. The big kid in me took over as I took off my shoes and dived onto the bed. The comfortable bed and soft covers were definitely something I missed while I was in jail, the short time I was there. The bed felt so good I almost didn't feel like getting up to take my shower, but I knew I had to. Right before I made a move to get up, I heard my phone ding and grabbed it from the bed.

Elijah🖤: 7:45 PM: I heard they let yo' ass out, smh, now why they do that? That's wassup tho sis. Imma get at you this weekend. Love you.

I smiled as I read over the text from Elijah, I knew his big head ass didn't forget about me. Now that I heard from my brother, I felt complete. I put my phone on the charger and grabbed my sleep clothes before heading to the shower.

******************************
Thoughts?