Chapter 10

Essence

Three Weeks Later

"Hey, the cookies are done!" Morgan yelled from her kitchen.

"They're done?" I perked up instantly as I got up from the couch and headed to the kitchen.

Morgan and I have been talking nonstop for the past few weeks. Ever since we met at Escape, we've been texting back and forth and talking on the phone. At this point in life, I was very particular about the people that I allowed around me. I didn't expect for us to actually hit it off the way we did, but we connected instantly and it happened naturally. I've also spent these three weeks in the studio. I recorded four more songs, one of them being the song I sang at Escape.

"Those smell phenomenal." I said glancing at the cookies as I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Girl, don't they?"

I watched as she grabbed two plates and placed four cookies on each before grabbing some milk out of the refrigerator. For some reason we just had a random taste for chocolate chip cookies.

"I feel like a big kid right now." She gestured to the milk and cookies. "So, have you thought about the YouTube idea at all? Making your own channel?"

"I thought about it, but I'm still not sure if that's what I wanna do."

During one of our phone conversations Morgan suggested I make a YouTube channel, that way my music could get some exposure. I was still on the fence about the idea because nobody outside of my small circle knew that I was trying to do music and I knew there would be a lot of people who recognized me from the trial.

"I think the channel is a really good idea and you don't have to upload just your music. You can add regular videos of yourself on there so people can get a feel for you outside of the whole case thing."

"I don't know, I guess I'm just scared." I said, dipping my cookie into the glass of milk.

"That's understandable, but you can't keep hiding forever, not if you really want your music to blow up. Whatever you decide to do, just know at some point you're gonna have to embrace the light."

"As soon as I upload any song with my name attached, people are going to start talking, oh she's trying to do music now?"

"Them talking is a good thing, the right person might hear and wanna know what all the talk is about. A lot people get their big break from YouTube, it's a very beneficial platform."

I could see all the advantages of having my own channel, but I wasn't going to jump into that right now, I still had to think on it some more.

"What all do you post on your channel?" I asked her.

"A variety of things. I post vlogs, makeup tutorials, advice videos regarding the music industry, tips on how to start your own business. The only thing I don't put on my channel is my music, I leave that for people to stream. I already told you we should make a singing video together, people would eat that up."

Morgan was kind of big on youtube, she had a million subscribers and over a million followers on instagram. In this business, a lot of times it's not what you can do, but more so who you know. I knew one video with her would make a lot of noise.

"Are you sure you want to be associated with a murderer?" I asked jokingly, but lowkey serious. If I was her I wouldn't be so quick to open up my platform for someone like me.

"You care too much about what other people think and that's a trait that will get your feelings hurt in the music industry. Me personally, I don't mind a little buzz." That was another thing I liked about Morgan, she was very straightforward. "Why do you even think people have negative opinions about you? Have you read any comments? You'd be surprised how many women can actually relate?"