Chapter 19

Essence

One month later

"It's okay to be nervous." Drew said to me as she stood across from me on the elevator. "This interview is the first of many, so just try to look at it from a positive standpoint. This is your chance to let the world get to know you for who you really are and not who they assume you to be. You get to control the narrative this time."

"And what if they ask me questions that I don't wanna answer?" I asked her as the elevator came to a stop meaning we arrived at our floor. A second later the doors opened and she led the way down the hall.

"Essence, people won't be able to connect with you if you can't be vulnerable or transparent. You don't have to be that way all the time, but sometimes you do and today is one of those times. This is your first interview. Just answer the questions." She pleaded.

A deep sigh escaped my lips as I nodded my head and just went along with what she said. I had been stressing over this interview ever since she told me about it a week ago. It's not like I wasn't excited about it because I was, this was big for me, but I was also nervous as hell and extremely unprepared. It didn't help that I got only four hours of sleep last night. Drew wasn't lying when she said she was going to push me. Since the day she became my manager, she's been working her ass off trying to establish my name as a music artist. It's only been four weeks and she's managed to secure a brand deal for me with a popular clothing company and on top of that, she's been booking me small shows at different venues, and getting my songs played on the radio.

"At least look excited." She added. "First impressions are everything."

"My bad." I stated before plastering the biggest fakest smile across my face. "Is this better?"

"Much better." She said sarcastically as we made it to the room I was doing the interview in. I entered first and instantly spotted Raven and Khaliah, the two sisters who were going to be interviewing me. They've had their podcast show, Captivate, for three years now and Drew thought they were the perfect people for me to talk to. She said something about them being down to earth and extremely welcoming, so I was hoping they lived up to her words. The last thing I needed was two assholes throwing questions at me, my nerves were bad enough.

Instead of jumping straight to business, the ladies and I took a few minutes to get acquainted. We got to know each other a little bit, they asked me if there was anything in particular that I didn't want to discuss and listening to Drew's advice, I told them that nothing was off limits. We could discuss whatever they had in mind. I just hoped I wouldn't end up regretting that decision.

"What's good everybody, Raven and Khaliah here and we're back with another episode of Captivate. We have a very special guest here with us today. We got Essence Allen in the building." Raven said into the mic with so much enthusiasm before her eyes fell onto me. "Welcome."

"Thanks for having me." I responded in an upbeat tone to try and mask my slight anxiety. Just be yourself, is all I kept thinking to myself.

"This is your first interview, right?" Khaliah asked. "So this is like exclusive."

"Oooh, you're right. It's definitely giving exclusive." Raven agreed. "Okay, so let's just discuss the elephant in the room because I know a lot of people have heard your story and what happened with your previous relationship, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to it than any of us know."

"There is." I confirmed, deciding to stand in my truth and try the whole being transparent thing. "Which is why it's so conflicting for me when people comment under my Instagram posts or they see me in public and they're commending me for what I did like it was some act of bravery, when really it came from a place of fear. And it's not something I really feel good about."