Chapter 6

Essence

"You can go ahead and go to the room, I'll be just a second." Tracy said, as she saw me sitting in the waiting area of her office. "You want anything to drink? Water? Coffee?"

"Nah, I'm good. Thanks." I said before heading to the room. It was time for my second session with Tracy and I must say, I dreaded this one a lot less than I did the first one. I figured therapy wasn't as horrible as I thought.

I made it to the room and took a seat on the couch just like I did last time. While I was waiting on Tracy my mind kept wandering to the song I recorded last night in the studio, I was still on a high from that whole experience. I couldn't wait to finish this session so I could head straight to the studio and hear the finished product of my song.

"I'm sorry for having you wait like this. I just finished up a session right before you and it was pretty intense, so I just had to fix me some coffee real quick." Tracy said as she took her seat in her chair and began to gather all the things she needed for our session. I was still in a really good mood, so I didn't mind the wait.

"How are you today?" She asked.

"I feel really good actually." I smiled.

"Well that's good. You definitely seem more upbeat this time around. I don't think you smiled at all last session."

"I did smile. You know, towards the end, when it was time to go." I said, and we both shared a laugh.

"So, is there any particular reason for the mood change?" She asked.

"Well, I recorded my first song in the studio yesterday. So, yeah. I feel pretty good about it."

"That's right, I remember you telling me last time that you wanted to sing professionally. I'm happy for you. How long have you had this dream?"

"For as long as I could remember."

I actually couldn't recall when this dream first came about. I've wanted this since I was a little girl, I think I came out of my mother's womb singing.

"Is this your first attempt at making it happen?" She asked as she opened her notebook and picked up her pen. I don't know why, but every time she grabbed that damn notebook, it made me nervous.

"It is." I confirmed. "I wasn't really serious about it before and I was distracted, so."

"Is it the same distraction that caused you to drop out of college?"

Her question had me stuck. It caught me off guard and I was taking a while to answer. Tracy noticed my hesitation, so she spoke again.

"It's just that - the last time we spoke, I remember you telling me about how you stopped going to college because you were distracted. I also remember you briefly speaking on your case about your boyfriend, so I was just wondering if all these things tied into each other at all. Maybe your boyfriend was the distraction?"

"I don't think so." I finally answered in a low voice.

"No?"

This session was starting to take a turn. I could sit here and talk with her about singing all day, but we were drifting into a topic that made me uncomfortable. I didn't like the direction we were going.

Music Heals All WoundsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara