Chapter 5

Essence

"Why do you look like you're about to shit yourself?" Eli asked, glancing over at me before putting his attention back on the road.

"I'm just nervous. I've never been to an actual studio before. I'm excited though."

Today was the day I was going to record a song in Elijah's studio. I decided my song, "Damaged", would be the song I test the waters with and with all the equipment they had at the studio, I knew they'd have my song sounding like a hit.

"Me and Amon have had these studios established for three years, one down here and one in Atlanta. All this time and you never once talked about getting in the studio. Why?"

"I wasn't taking it seriously, that's why. I've always written songs and I've always said that I wanna be a singer, but I've never tried to actually pursue that dream. I let so many things distract me and on top of that, I never believed that I could do it. I still kind of don't."

"Then what are we doing? Why am I bringing you here if you don't even believe in what you're about to do. I know you have an amazing voice, mom and dad know, as well as anyone who has ever heard you sing, but it starts with you. You gotta believe in yourself before anybody else can." He said as he turned into the parking lot of the studio.

He was right, it does start with me. I knew I had a great voice, otherwise it would be very delusional of me to even have dreams of being a singer. It's just hard to believe that it could actually happen for me, but that didn't mean I wasn't going to try. As we got out of the car, I took time to admire the building that was in front of us. I was really proud of my brother, this studio was his dream and I was glad he was able to make it a reality.

"Y'all fancy, huh?" I said as I looked around the place, everything looked so expensive and professional.

"You like it?" Eli asked as he lead
me down a hallway.

"Yeah, this is really nice."

We made it to one of the rooms in the back and when we walked in, I felt like I had died and went to singer's heaven. I was amazed at everything around me even though I didn't know what half of this shit was.

"Mon." Eli called out as soon as he walked in.

"Eli, nigga wassup?" The Mon' guy said, as he stood up from his chair and dapped Eli up.

"What's up with you? I haven't been down here in a minute, everything good around here?"

While they were playing catch up, I took a moment to really look around the studio room that we were in. I was so excited I just wanted to touch everything. My eyes landed on the recording booth and I could just envision myself singing my heart out inside of there.

"You know I'mma make sure everything's straight down here. Matter of fact, I gotta tell you about some business with this new artist. She reached out to me, but she actually lives in the A."

"Speaking of new artists." Eli said, looking over at me. "I don't think you ever met my sister. Essence, this is Amon, I've been knowing this dude for I don't know how long."

"It's something about this nigga Eli that we don't know about, he keep his family ducked off like he involved in some illegal shit. It's nice to meet you though." Amon said, giving me a hug.