Meeting Old Friends

"They're going to catch me! They're going to catch me!" I thought as I ran through the woods. I wasn't thinking of walkers though, I was thinking of Jamey and his gang.

Just then, I ran into a scruffy looking man with a crossbow in his hands. I fell to the ground and backpedaled away from him.

"I'm sorry mister I didn't mean to bump you!" I said, waiting for the man to hit me, or worse, shoot me. I heard shrubs rustling behind me, and knew I had to move fast.

The man put his index finger over his lips, telling me to hush. He then lifted me up and set me behind a set of trees, joining he short after.

I swallowed hard as I watched Jamey and his partners Zero and Adam break through the vegetation. "Brooke! Get back here!" Jamey hissed. "If you come back easy, your punishment will be less painful. Now come here!"

I shuttered when he said my name.

"Whatever. Just forget her. She'll die out here after a few hours anyway. The deads all over the place." Zero said.

Jamey smacked him and said "Are you kidding me?! I traded two rifles and an SUV for that girl. I didn't even get to use her yet! Keep looking!" The pack then parted the trees and continued on their search for me.

I then looked over to the man next to me. He looked at me for a while, then said in a southern accent "Are you Brooke?"

I shook my head yes.

"Well, do you have any place else to go?" The man spoke.

I shook my head no.

"What about your family?" He asked.

"Dead got them..." I lied.

"Hmmm..." The man said. He stared at me for a while, then said "Are you any good at cleaning meat?"

I shook my head yes.

"Well come with me and I'll make sure you're ok. My names Daryl by the way. You're gunna love my group. I know a boy who's right around your age. You guys will be great friends." The man said and lifted me back through the tree line. I smiled and followed him through the woods back I had hoot seeking escape. Little did I know, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.