Rescue (Part 2)

Brooke's POV:

I fell limp on the floor, feeling pain all over. From what I could see out of swollen eyes, Daryl had come to my rescue. He lifted me up and carries me out the door. As he walked away, I looked back and saw Zero and Adam's bodies on the ground as well, bullet, or arrow sized, holes in their heads.

"You're ok. You're safe now." Daryl said, carrying me up what felt like stairs. I then become numb from the pain, just before I passed out.

****

I woke up in the back seat of a car, Carl peering down at me. I realized my head was in his lap. He ran his fingers slowly and easily through my light brown hair.

I smiled, even though it hurt. I winced in pain as we hit a bump in the road, pressure built up in my nose.

"Dad, she's bleeding again." Carl said, his face filled with concern as I felt wet patches under my nose and around the corners of my mouth.

Daryl turned around quickly. "Elevate her head." He took of the vest he was wearing and handed it to Carl. "Use this to clot the bleeding."

Daryl had become like a father figure to me. He'd been increasingly caring and adoring of me. Nothing like my real father...

Carl held the cloth to my face gently, leaning down closer to me. He kissed my forehead as we continued down the road. I smiled again.

I was in and out of consciousness as we got to the prison. Daryl carried me in again, me being too week to walk.

He laid me down on my bed in my cell and hurried out. Carl entered, water welling up in his eyes.

"I should've stopped them!" He whispered to me. "It's my fault. I'm so sorry." He walked over and sat on my bed. He put his hands on either side of my face as gentle tears came down his cheeks. I raised my hand to wipe them away, but he held it instead. "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault." I choked out. "It's my sad excuse for a father's"