Vacation

Brooke's POV:

I laid there in bed next to Carl, his arms around me protectively, but I still didn't feel safe. I shivered at every noise outside the cell, thinking it was Jacob or someone else out to get me. I slowly brought my hand up to feel the scabbed over cut the Governor made on my left cheek.

Carl's grip tensed as I shivered. I turned my head to carefully check of he was asleep. He was still snoozing peacefully, his amazing face seemed happy.

All of a sudden, a shadow passed the door to the cell. It moved slowly, dragging one foot behind the other. I wrapped my hand around the gun that was laying on the floor beside the bed.

I shook Carl awake, pointing to the doorway.

"What's wrong?" He asked. I shushed him by putting my index finger over my lips.

He looked at me confused as I pointed to the door again. Suddenly, the figure gripped the doors to the cell and started shaking it violently. I jumped backwards, causing Carl to pull me closer to him.

"What's wrong?" He repeated.

I started to shiver. "Don't you see that?!" I pointed to the door once again.

"What am I supposed to be seeing?" Carl asked, giving me a concerned look.

A growl echoed from the strange thing at the door. I now knew it was a walker. I raised the gun to shoot it, but Carl quickly ripped it from my hands.

"What are you doing?!" We both said at the same time.

"I'm trying to kill the walker!" I answered first. "Shoot it!"

Carl set the gun back on the floor. "There's nothing there..." He said.

The walker yanked on the door harder. It's hissing grew louder.

"Dammit Carl shoot it!" I demanded.

"Brooke, lay back down. There's nothing there." He said, pulling me back onto the bed.

I jumped out of his arms and picked the gun up again. Carl jumped on top of me, pinning me to the ground. He took the gun from my hands and tossed it on the bed.

"There's nothing there!" He said from above me.

"What's going on?" Rick said from the door way of the cell. I looked over and the walker was gone.

Carl got off of me and stood up. "There's something wrong with her dad. Can you get Hershel up?"

"But... It was right there..." I said, astonished that the creature had just disappeared.

"I'm up. I'm up." Hershel said from the door way, helping me to my feet.

He sat me on the bed and got out a flashlight. He had me look in both directions and shined the light in my eyes. After a while of looking he said "She's been traumatized."

Rick said "Is there anything you can do?"

"I'd suggest a vacation, but that isn't really an option right now." Hershel said. "We can talk more in the morning. Just try and sleep Brooke, you'll get better eventually."

I nodded and tried to lay down. Carl made me sleep closest to the wall now, away from the gun.

In the morning at breakfast, the adults discussed what to do with me.

"We could go on a short camping trip." Rick said. "Just for a change if pace."

"No I don't think that would work." Hershel said.

"How about the beach?" Daryl said. "We can't be that far away from the shore. I can take her and Carl there. I'm sure there's an abandoned hotel or something we could sleep in."

"I like that idea." Carl said before kissing the top of my head. I smiled and nodded in agreement.

"Great." Daryl said. "We'll set out in the morning."