Evil Incarnate

[5 Days Later.]

“Hey. You OK? I was just about to call you. You didn’t telepathically know that, did you?”

Stiles grins, because even without him chuckling, she knows he’s grinning, too (can hear it in his voice.) “No, I only mind snoop you every night in before I go to bed.... Oh, my frigging God! – I totally meant to see your dirty thoughts, AND I was absolutely joking, and I TOTALLY did not mean because I’m playing with myself while I–wait... no, that’s – I... Oh, for fu –“

Derek’s laugher is the only thing that fills his end of the line by the time Stiles has finished her fumble of words.

And while the sound is totally endearing, because it’s that rare boyish laugh of his, Stiles can only keep glaring at Melissa’s kettle as she mumbles out, “You’re a fucking jerk. You could’ve stopped me at any time, but noooo.”

Derek chokes a little there on his laughter at the end – and OK, Stiles is totally proud of that little accomplishment – before humbly clearing his throat and producing a rather sincere (sounding), “Sorry.”

“No, you’re not.” Stiles grumbles, even as she fights back a smile.

“No, I’m not. But to be fair, only because I’m glad to know you think of me, too, while you’re lying in bed at night...”

He trails off, but he says it all so smoothly that Stiles has to pause and register each syllable before she can even begin to come up with an answer. “Too?” She chooses lame, great. But it’s totally not her fault, because she is desperately trying not to picture Derek lying in his bed at night, thinking about her while he has his hand(s) wrapped around his –

Derek lets out a light chuckle before casually moving the conversation along – Stiles knows he knows exactly what he’s doing. “I called to tell you I’ve still got Allie for another hour. Lydia’s held up with a client.”

“Right.” Stiles will play along with his little game... until she sees him again. Then, he’s in BIG trouble. “New Year’s busier than Christmas. That’s OK. I was actually calling to tell you I’m gonna be half hour late anyway. Logan just needs me to sign off on a few things for him while I’m not there.”

“Right.”

Stiles frowns as his tone seems to sadden a little. “What’s wrong?” She asks, tone soft (hopefully coaxing.)

“No, nothing.”

Stiles shoots poor Melissa’s kettle a withering stare. “Der.”

Derek lets out a short sigh, hopes he doesn’t sound as needy as he damn well feels right now. “You’re leaving tomorrow.”

“Yeah?” Stiles likes to think she’s not so oblivious as she once was, but then, she hears his sad little sigh and then, he tells her it doesn’t matter, and that he’s just being stupid, and Stiles only then finally registers her obliviousness. “Oh. Yeah...”

“I can come visit whenever you want... if you want.”

Stiles lets out half a breathless chuckle. “Of course I want... I want you.” Her heart is suddenly beating so loud, she’s sure his keen ears can hear it through the phone.

Derek sounds all too hopeful now, he knows it’s a dangerous thing. “Yeah?”

Definitely.” Stiles’ happy expression falters back into mortification when she hears his breathy laugh. “Can I try that answer again WITHOUT sounding like a needy hoebag, please?”