12:Max

"Dude you look like shit," I say as I look at Scott in the kitchen.

He doesn't say anything back. Like he doesn't even notice my presence. His eyes are red, I'm pretty sure he's not sleeping. I'm surprised he's eating, in the first place. He's usually just been locking himself in his room lately.

"What's going on man. You're walking around like a zombie, you barely talk to anyone, and you've been off your game at practice. Coach is starting to think that you're not going to be focused for the game tomorrow."

"I'll be fine."

"What is it? I'm worried about you Scotty?"

"I haven't heard from Rydell in a week." I have noticed Rydell's lack of appearance. When I hung out with Sam yesterday, she mentioned something about Del being out. She wouldn't tell me specifics about it, so I dropped the topic.

"I thought you guys had a good time at the carnival. You came home saying that you wanted her to be your girlfriend." When I heard him say it, I swear I thought I'd been transported to an alternative universe.

"I thought so too. I don't know what I did, but she's completely shut me out and I'm losing my shit."

"Has she been in class?"

"No. But I talked to Sam who said she was fine but wouldn't be in town for a little." Whenever he mentions Sam like they're friends, I feel compelled to ask questions about her. I don't think Rydell and Scott really know that we are friends.

"Oh. If she's out of town, she's probably just busy," I try to reassure him.

"Too busy to pick up the phone and tell me that she's alive? I was genuinely scared for her health."

"Just wait it out a bit dude. She'll talk when she's ready. And if she doesn't then when she's back in town you force her to talk. Tell her how you feel."

~

"You can't tell me anything about her well-being so that I can assure Scott that she's ok?" I ask Sam as we walk to the Taco Shop.

"I already told you Max, it's not my place to say. If she isn't reaching out to Scott, there's a reason for it." She shakes her head.

"She could tell him that she's alive at least. He's losing his damn mind." I run my hand through my hair in frustration.

"I already told Scott that she's fine physically. She's just not in the right mindset to be interacting with people right now." I open the door to the restaurant. "Now can we please drop the subject? We have more pressing matters to talk about. How was the party last night?"

"Serena was there," I groan.

"She usually always is. Did she try to talk to you this time?"

At one of the Halloween parties last week, Serena approached me and tried to jump into a conversation. Sam came to my rescue by asking me to dance.

And that pissed Serena off big time. Now every time I see her it's like she's making it her mission to seek me out.

"Yeah. She asked if I wanted to dance," I mumble.

"Did you?"

"Next customer." Saved by the bell.

"Can we get two carne asada burritos please?"