22: Max

It's been 2 days of nothing but short responses and bullshit excuses from Sam Drawings.

I know she went to her parent's house for Thanksgiving, as did I. But I know she came back that night. And now it's Saturday night and she's starting to concern me.

Maybe she got sucked into her work again. And if that's the case, then I really need to check in on her, because I know how stressed she makes herself when she's zoned into designs.

She has this idea in her head that she's letting people down. That if she doesn't get her work done in a specific timeframe (which is always way ahead of schedule), people will be disappointed in her.

That's why I try to come in and distract her for a little bit. Remind her that, if anything, I'll always be proud of her.

And that's how I found myself in front of her house at 9:30 on a Saturday night, instead of at the party I know is happening at the junior's house.

I run my hand through my hair before knocking the door, waiting for her response.

I hear her fumbling inside, but it takes her a while to open the door.

Which is a little weird because usually she swings the door right open without a second thought. Most of the time, she doesn't even check to see who it is.

"Maximillian Rudderford, you scared the shit out of me." She's in her pajamas, so I take it she's not partying tonight.

"You're one to talk. You scared the shit out of me by barely responding to my texts." She really did. "I thought that someone kidnapped you and was writing responses back to get rid of suspicion."

"Well, I hate to disappoint, but I was not kidnapped. I'd like to think that the kidnapper wouldn't stand a chance. I'd either beat the shit out of him or outsmart him," she claims with confidence.

"I'd believe it. You've got quite the arm on you. That or you'd annoy them to death and they'd just let you go," I tease. "Are you going to let me in?"

"I know for a fact that there's a junior's party right now. Go to that. Plus, I have things to do." I squeeze past her and head towards the couch.

"You are getting way too comfortable here." She locks the door and follows.

"Last time we talked, you were weeks ahead on designs. I think you can spare some time for me." I grab the remote to force her to take a break.

"I wasn't drawing. I was grocery shopping." She picks up her laptop.

"Oh that's perfect, we can go together. I need eggs." I stand up, but she pulls me back down.

"I'm online grocery shopping." I give her a weird look.

"Why would you do that. There's a grocery store like 5 minutes from here." It would just be a waste of money to have it delivered.

"I don't want to go to the grocery store." I know for a fact that Sam is not a lazy person. She's in the gym all the time, is always active and rarely stays in the house for long periods of time.

"When was the last time you left this apartment?" I question.

"I went home for Thanksgiving." She hyper fixates her attention to her shopping.

"That was like 2 days ago. Why haven't you been going out?"

"I've just been tired recently." I study her face. There's a barely noticeable flush to her cheeks and a wrinkle between her eyebrows.