Chapter 1: Defending The Bridge

~~~~~~
Arya
~~~~~~

I sighed softly, looking around the school.
It felt so empty without Skylar.
Claire was always around Jim, trying to uplift his mood.
Toby was fawning over Darcy, apparently having found out that she was the mascot.
And I was alone... Or so I wished to be.
"Alone again?" Alden spoke as I closed my locker.
I didn't spare him a glance, heading towards class.
However, he just followed.
"Don't you think it's a bit dangerous to be alone? You never know what can happen." He stated in an off-handed matter.
"I can handle myself." I stated, sending him a brief glare.
He smiled brightly.
"I'm sure you can." He spoke.
A beat.
"So, I know you and Skylar are close and everything, but... Maybe you should get to know me, form your own feelings of me instead of riding off hers." He stated.
He spoke in loops, always going back to what he wanted you to do.
"I don't have to defend my opinions. Especially to you." I countered, slipping into my class.
Luckily, we didn't have the same class.
He walked away after a moment.
I let a heavy breath escape me as Jim, Claire, and Toby entered the room.
"Arya, you up for acting as Skylar tonight?" Jim asked quietly, causing me to nod.
"I still can't believe she went through. I never would have thought..." Claire trailed off as more students filtered in, chatting about Skylar.
They were gonna say she was sick with a new incurable disease named after Sky; Skylar Lake Disease.
Jim and myself shot down the idea, though not entirely so.
We ended up calling it Sky-lifaria Lakrona.
It sounded real enough and it got people to pull together for a 'good cause'.
It sounded better than saying; "Oh yeah, Skylar's fine. She's just in this place called the darklands fighting the king of evil trolls."
Yeah... That wasn't going to happen.
Besides, when Skylar returned, she wouldn't like it very much if we spilled everything.
We've been keeping up with all the missions while she's away too, so she wouldn't have a massive work load when she got back.
"Jim... What did you do when you were in the darklands?" Toby asked lowly.
"Ran mostly. Every moment felt like a fight. There wasn't really time for rest." He replied softly.
"Do you think Skylar is okay? She's been down there for a long time." Claire then spoke.
"Out of all of us, I think Skylar would handle it the best. She's a fighter." I stated, looking over at the three.
Claire only nodded in response, the other two staying completely silent.
I wasn't going to tell them my thoughts on how she was acting.
I didn't want to worry them.
"The amulet didn't call out to anyone yet. She's still alive." Jim spoke softly before the bell rang.

After school, we went to Trollmarket.
Vendel had told us that he was meeting with the tribunal.
While Toby, Claire, and Jim snuck in to listen to them, I made my way towards the bridge.
Draal was guarding it, as he always was, sharpening his axe.
"Hey, Draal." I greeted, catching his gaze briefly.
He grunted in response.
"She said you'll come out of this alive... Not we." He stated, a low growl to his words, staring at nothing in particular.
"I should have known what she was planning." He added before dragging the axe across his metal arm again.
It wasn't necessary to keep sharpening it.
Obviously, he just needed to feel like he was doing something.
"I noticed her strange behavior too." I admitted, sitting down next to him.
"I didn't know what she was planning on doing after the fight. Something was bothering her. After everything, I wouldn't blame her if she thought going after Gunmar and getting Claire's brother herself was the best course of action." I stated, continuing to study his form.
He was silent a moment before sighing.
"I promised I wouldn't leave her alone." He admitted.
Now I understood.
Some of it anyway.
"Maybe you did. But you can't go to her right now. What she would want you to do now is to continue guarding her family. Not sit outside this room." I replied with, watching for his reaction.
Suddenly, the group was running towards us, causing me to stiffen.
"They're going to tear down the bridge with Skylar in there." Claire spoke quickly.
Draal's gaze widened before darkening.
He was quick to turn around and open the door.
We barricaded ourselves inside, waiting for the tribunal.
I pulled out my daggers, readying for the fight.
"Now what?" Toby asked.
"We stand our ground." I replied.
"Hold them off for as long as we can." Claire agreed.
"For Skylar." Jim finished.
"I always had a thing against authority." Draal growled out, causing me to smile a bit.
He and Skylar were a lot alike.
"I just hope Lady Skylar is near." Blinky said softly.
The door was then broke open, causing me to tighten my grip.