Chapter 5: Some Good News

~~~~~
Arya
~~~~~

We landed on solid earth, the wet clothes clinging to my body as I stared up at the sky.
"Arya, are you alright?" Claire asked with a groan, sitting up.
"Fine." I choked out before being thrown into a coughing fit.
"Jim?" Claire then asked.
However, Jim was already on his feet, running a hand through his short black hair.
"I'm good." He stated, though his voice was hoarse.
"NotEnrique?" I then asked, taking in a deep breath after my little fit.
"I feel dead." He replied, making me nod.
"Agreed." I muttered, focusing on the sky above.
I was not ready to get up yet.
"Arya, we have to meet up with Blinky and Arrrgh." Jim spoke, causing me to sigh.
"Yay." I muttered, pushing myself to my feet.
"I want to get Skylar out of there as much as you do, but I had a box land on my arm when the crate tipped. Allow me a moment to rest." I stated, rotating my shoulder.
"I'm sorry, I tried to get it off of you as quickly as possible." Claire apologized.
"I knew the risks." I replied before sighing with a nod.
"Let's get going." I added, receiving a nod from Jim before the four of us headed out.

We waited in the vehicle, waiting on a certain changeling to show up as
"I should have kept the amulet." I heard Jim suddenly mutter.
"What are you talking about?" I found myself asking, narrowing my gaze.
"If I stayed the Trollhunter, we wouldn't have to do this. We could have changed everything. We could have-"
"That's enough, Jim." I spoke, glaring at him fully now.
He met my gaze.
"You've been saying that ever since Skylar revealed to you that she was the Trollhunter. That shows that you have doubts for her. She is alive and what she needs right now, is your support. All of our support. She is the Trollhunter, but she is also the Nightwatcher. She needs us just as much as we need her. You may know what had happened, but that doesn't mean you know what will happen. You're her brother, out of everyone here, she should be depending on you the most." I stated.
He nodded.
"I know... I just... I'm worried for her." He stated.
"Stop making excuses. We're all worried for her, but you're the only one that holds regret." I stated.
He stayed silent after that.
"There." Blinky suddenly spoke softly.
We all moved our gazes out the window.
"Slip out quietly. We don't want to spook him." Blinky added.
We slipped out quietly, only for Toby to drop his candy and slip, not once, but twice.
Said noise caused the Changeling to begin walking away.
I sighed, following after him along side Claire and Jim.
As we chased him, he made multiple turns, soon making us loose sight of him for a short time.
We turned into the alley he last turned into, running into a dead end.
Claire walked up to the person in the alley, revealing him to be a young kid.
I frowned as he ran past us before studying the alley.
how could he just... Disappear?

The next day, I skipped school, avoiding Alden while searching for the Janus order.
Maybe check in with Draal?
He's been so distant lately, ever since the bridge was taken down.
However, Jim says that he's been in the basement, keeping watch for any danger.
Skylar's trust for him must have grown exponentially if she had left him to watch her family alone.
Though, that much was obvious.
I let a sigh escape me as I entered the sewers, making my way to the path leading to Jim and Sky's basement.
"Hey, Draal." I greeted, seeing him staring at the hot coals in the furnace.
He grunted in response.
"How are you holding up?" I questioned, studying him.
He didn't move, just stared into the roaring flames.
"Draal-"
"Don't tell me what I need to do, Elfling." He suddenly growled.
My eyes widened slightly at his hostility.
I composed myself, releasing a breath.
"I wasn't going to tell you what you needed to do, Draal. I was just going to tell you that if you wish to talk about it, we're here for you. I understand that you are angry, but that is no excuse to treat us the way you are. We may not be Skylar, but we are your teammates. We have to support each other if we are going to get through this. We'll get her back if we work together." I spoke softly, keeping my tone even.
He turned to me, eyes narrowed as he growled.
I stood my ground, knowing he was just hurting.
His gaze broke from mine, moving back to the flames.
"Do you doubt her survival?" I questioned softly.
"No." He replied.
I frowned.
"Then what's bothering you?" I asked softly, taking a step closer.
"I fear her survival... Something like this can change any troll. I do not doubt her strength, but humans are more fragile then trolls." He stated.
"It might change her, yeah. But every experience changes someone in some way. No matter how big, or small. It would be wrong to expect her to stay the same." I spoke.
He shook his head, his horns nearly scraping the ceiling in the process.
"That is not what I mean." He stated.
I sat down, staying silent.
He stared into the flames a moment, a heavy breath leaving him.
"She was different from the other fleshbags to begin with. Stronger, faster, bolder... Smarter. Yet, she showed her weakness, unafraid. She embraces her emotions wholey. I fear that when she returns, she will no longer do so." He explained slowly, as if every spoken word brought him new pain.
"You fear her changing for the worse." I summarized, receiving a chuff.
My mind replayed the memory of her telling me that she was afraid, how she faced her fear anyway.
She didn't care what people thought of her, standing by her actions and her words.
She knew when to say something, when not to say something.
How she prioritized the truth, loyalty.
How she was able to strategize with ease.
There was no fighting the fact that she was made for this world.
"Knowing her, she's not going to break easily. It would take more than a few wounds to shatter her spirit. Gunmar doesn't stand a chance. We're close to getting her out. I'm sure she can hold her own until then." I spoke easily, a small smile greeting my features.
He only chuffed, unconvinced.
"I can see that you won't believe it until you see her safe and sound. Until then, I ask that you trust us. That you help us." I stated, watching his expression.
He took a moment before nodding, causing me to nod in turn.
That's when my phone began to ring.
"Arya!" Claire shouted as soon as I answered, causing me to wince and pull the phone away from my ear.
"Yes?" I questioned.
"We found something on the Janus order! Meet us after school. I'll text you the location!" She exclaimed, causing me to widen my eyes as I met Draal's gaze.
I could see the flash of hope within them.
"That's amazing news. I'll be there as quickly as I can." I spoke before she hung up.
She quickly texted the location and I looked up to Draal.
"Do you want to come with?" I offered.
"Bar-bur-rah will be home tonight. I will stay to ensure her safety." He spoke, causing me to nod.
I then turned, quickly running down the path to exit the sewers.