Chapter 13: It's Good To Be Back

~~~~~~~
Skylar
~~~~~~~

I was staring at my reflection in the mirror, having gotten up long before my alarm.
It's your fault, you know. If you had listened to me, your brother would still be here. Gunmar would be dead. We wouldn't be where we are now.
"Shut up." I growled, closing my eyes as I tore my gaze away from my reflection.
You should've killed him instead of playing games!
"SHUT UP, LAMIERAH!" I shouted, the glass of the mirror shattering.
Silence.
There was a rustle before footsteps echoed down the hall.
"Skylar, is everything okay?" Mom asked from behind the bathroom door.
"Yeah, mom. I'm okay." I replied.
She hesitated a moment, but left it at that.
I sighed, looking back at the mirror.
When did I become such a liar?
How did you know my name?
"What?" I asked breathlessly, watching the mirror reform itself.
I was losing my mind, wasn't I?
"How did you know my name?" The voice suddenly spoke, a figure forming in the mirror.
I held my breath, watching the black silhouette move across the mirror.
"I don't. I didn't." I replied, frowning.
How did I know it?
I could hear the voice hum before sighing.
"Very well..." Lamierah spoke before the black figure disappeared from the mirror.
Just listen to me when we speak of a plan. I've been around far longer than you young one. Now, once Nomura heals, send her to find the stones. Or you won't become more powerful. Now, go check on your patient.
The voice spoke again, echoing in my mind once more.
I sighed before heading to the basement.
Draal shifted, perking up a bit when he saw me coming down the stairs.
My heart twisted and I moved my gaze to Nomura.
"Has she woken up?" I questioned softly, reaching the bottom of the stairs.
I could feel Draal falter.
"A few times. Briefly." He replied.
I let out a heavy sigh before meeting his gaze.
I didn't realize how much I missed his eyes.
They were so bright, yellow ringed with a bit of red.
I took in a breath, closing my eyes as I looked away.
"I'm sorry... For how I left. I had to." I whispered, glancing up from the ground to meet his gaze again.
He didn't say a word, just stared at me.
Neither of us moved, the room silent spare our breaths.
"I... Missed you." Draal suddenly admitted, causing me to look up at him fully.
"I missed you too." I replied.
Silence settled in again as I moved towards him, sitting on the ground next to his form.
I hesitated before leaning into him.
He released a heavy breath, pulling me into him further.
"Tell me why..." He pleaded.
I parted my lips to do so, but something held me back.
I sighed.
"It's complicated." I said softly, looking back to Nomura's sleeping form.
"How?" He pressed.
He deserved an answer.
I know he did.
I took in a heavy breath.
"The predecessors of the Trollhunter kept telling me that my team would get me killed, or that I would kill them. Gunmar threatened to use me to kill everyone I care about. My mom almost died because of me... Then the-" I cut myself off, voice catching in my throat.
Draal turned his gaze onto me, looking at my much smaller form.
"The what?" He questioned softly.
I know he wasn't pressuring me to answer, merely concerned.
I sighed, closing my eyes before looking up at him.
"I've been hearing a voice. Their name is Lamierah and they say that they're a predecessor to the Nightwatcher. They told me I had to go in." I explained quietly.
Draal was silent a second, studying me.
"Why?" He questioned.
"She said it was to make me stronger. I learned how to heal and I learned something else too. Apparently I need Lagaertha stones to unlock more of my power. Lamierah said it was the only way to stop Gunmar." I explained, keeping my voice low as to not wake anyone.
He nodded, pulling me back into him.
"Skylar, you need to get ready for school!" Mom called out from upstairs.
I sighed, gently pulling away from Draal.
However, I paused when I reached the stairs.
"We'll talk when I get back, okay?" I spoke, watching him.
He snorted, giving a nod.
I smiled slightly before heading upstairs.
Mom was sitting at the table, finishing her coffee before needing to head to work.
I let out a heavy sigh, walking over to her before trapping her in a hug.
"Oh!" She exclaimed in shock before hugging me back.
"It really is good to be home." I whispered, bringing a soft smile to her lips.
"You can stay here, if you want. Just for today, or two." She spoke, causing me to pull away with a slight laugh.
"No. I've been gone long enough. Besides, I have... to cover for Jim." I spoke, causing both of our smiles to fall.
"We'll say he caught a case of that flu. What was it Arya called it?" Mom asked, blinking the tears away.
"Sky-lafaria la-krona." I replied, causing her to nod, wiping her eyes.
"I'm going to call in sick to work, keep an eye on Nomura." She added.
"Okay. If anything happens, just call me. I'll be back after school." I stated, receiving a nod.
I then headed upstairs to change and get ready.

Upon entering the school, everyone was crowding me, congratulating me on my recovery while also giving me their condolences for Jim, the news of him having caught the illness having spread like wild fire.
I sighed, making my way through the crowd.
Have I mentioned how much I hated being in the center of crowds?
Well, if I haven't, I hate crowds.
School dragged on for hours, lunch being even slower.
"Skylar." A voice called, causing me to frown before looking over my shoulder after locking arms with Arya.
It was Alden.
I sighed, looking away from him.
I wasn't interested in dealing with him.
Maybe I should have took that offer to stay home.
Though...
I glanced over at Arya.
I wasn't about to leave her to deal with Alden by herself again.

After school, we decided to stop by my house before heading to Trollmarket.
"Mom, we're here!" I called out, leaving the door open for the others to walk in behind me.
"In here." Mom replied, having tea with Nomura once again.
This time, she had made the tea.
I could tell by the fact that Nomura wasn't drinking it, but rather pretending to, I also noticed she was in her human form.
I sighed.
"We have to head to Trollmarket. I just wanted to check that everything was okay here." I explained, receiving a nod.
Nomura then stood up, holding her side.
"Thank you for your hospitality, Skylar. Once I'm fully healed, I'll start searching for some Lagaertha stones for you." She explained, my eyes widened slightly and she glanced towards my mom before nodding briefly.
I sighed softly.
"Thank you for that. You've done so much for me." I spoke.
"You've done more for me, little one." She replied, causing me to smile softly.
"I'll be back later tonight, mom. I'll be safe and I won't go through anymore gateways leading to a horrible place. And Nomura, don't push yourself. Take your time, get some rest. I also recommend eating something.... Not made by my mom, though. She can fix people up pretty well, but her food is deadly." I stated, shooting a playful smirk at mom.
She smacked my shoulder in return, a playful smile on her face.
I laughed gently before turning to the small group.
"Let's face the music." I stated, giving mom a side hug before heading out.