Chapter 6: Dangers Across Worlds

~~~~~~~~
Skylar
~~~~~~~~

My sword slashed through the goblins, green blood scattering across the sword before the next wave of gumm-gumms came at me.
One had grabbed my wing, snapping one of the bones.
I let a yell tear through me, swing my sword to lop off his head before taking down the others.
I shoved my sword through the chest of the last one, kicking him away from me as he crumbled to stone.
I huffed, wincing slightly when pain shot through my wing.
I turned to face Gunmar again, smirking.
"You're gonna have to try harder then that." I stated, seeing the anger grow into an inferno.
He growled lowly, waving for me to be taken away again.
As soon as I entered my cell again, I healed my wing, everytime someone passed, I acted as though it was causing me severe pain.
I was going to have the upper hand in the fight to come.
No matter what they through at me.
"Nomura?" I called softly, sitting against the wall.
"I am here." she replied, causing me to nod.
We were silent as a guard passed by, me taking care to caress my wing.
"What do you think they'll throw at me next?" I asked, raising a brow.
"Worry about gaining your strength, little one." She replied with, causing me to sigh.
"How is that voice in your head?" She then asked.
"They've been quiet. I think they realize no matter what they say, my plan won't change." I replied, shrugging slightly.
"You are different from the rest, young hunter." Nomura stated, causing me to let out an amused scoff.
"The predecessors of the amulet remind me of that. They aren't happy with my choices." I replied, laughing slightly at the thought.
"I assume Draal wasn't very happy either." She then spoke.
I stiffened slightly, letting out a long breath.
"Not at first, but... He's come to respect me, and I him." I spoke, a hitch in my voice causing me to wince.
My hand moved up to the choker around my neck, the obsidian piece smooth against my fingers.
My hand then trailed to the scar along my cheek, the rough ridges making me frown.
I wonder how bad it actually looked.
"I can tell that he had changed. He seems more mature now... Last we fought." She stated, choosing her words carefully.
"He was the first of us to put aside the rivalry he begun. He... Helps me and he protects my family when I can't. I know they're safe with him." I explained cautiously.
I knew that they had a fling... I'm not sure if I wanted to know to what extent, or if there was still feelings on either side.
The thought made me chest squeeze.
"How is he these days?" She then asked.
"He was fine when I last talked to him... Before the battle with Angor Rot." I replied softly, my voice wavering at the thought that I had left before listening to whatever it was he wanted to tell me.
It seemed important to him at the time, yet... I was more focused on everything else.
Out of everything, I regretted that the most.
I wish I had known what it was he wanted to say, but... At the same time, I feel that if I had listened...
I wouldn't have come here.
"Young huntress..." Nomura called, trailing off.
I glanced up at the hole in the wall, seeing her green gaze on me.
"Are you positive we will make it out of here?" She questioned.
"I am." I replied, nodding to her.
"You have given me hope, young huntress. I can only pray that you are right." She stated.
It was silent after that.
"Your plan... It's dangerous." The voice suddenly spoke softly.
"Yeah." I replied simply, the corner of my lip twitching into a smirk.

~~~~~~~
Alden
~~~~~~~

I tailed the large group, seeing trolls wander with them.
I wasn't surprised.
In fact, I was expecting to see them.
I wanted so badly to drain their magic... Especially the big one.
The glow surrounding him was enticing, yet I didn't move from my position.
After they entered the travel agency, I waited a few minutes before following.
"Where two faces meet." I spoke easily into the phone.
The floor then began to move.
I sighed boredly, knowing that these changelings would be difficult to convince.
I walked around the area for a bit before coming across Otto waiting outside a room, talking to some other changelings.
"Otto." I greeted, gaining his attention.
His eyes widened, fear dancing behind his pupils.
I couldn't help the smirk coming to my features.
"I have a business proposal for you." I spoke, smiling wickedly.
"Of course, Alden the Devourer." He stated, causing me to nod.
"I'll discuss the details when you're done making arrangements with them. If you fail, I'm not above taking the magic from you." I stated, causing him to gulp.
"Are there any here that you would like?" He then asked.
"Of course there is, but now isn't the time. Make the deal, let them go. Then we'll talk. I'll be waiting." I stated before walking down the hall.
He watched me a moment longer before heading into the room.
I could hear muffled voices as I waited down the hall, hiding behind a corner to listen to as much as I could.
It was good to hear that they were making a deal involving Vendel's staff.
It gave me useful information after all.
I sighed, tapping my foot against the linoleum floor, my patience slowly thinning.
Finally, the group was escorted to the elevator and Otto came to greet me.
I smirked, watching his nervous demeanor.
"What is this deal you are offering?" He questioned cautiously.
"I'll ensure Gunmar gets out of the darklands for you. Skylar is... Skilled from my understanding. I wouldn't be surprised if she harmed the Gumm-gumm king during her inevitable escape. I'll keep him alive long enough for him to release Morgana and bring the eternal night" I proposed.
"What is the catch?" He questioned.
"You simply have to bring me beings of magic. If you can't provide me that, then I will drink the souls of some of your brethren... Do we have a deal?" I spoke, raising a brow.
"You made a promise to never drink-"
"I'm getting desperate. Because of that, I am tempted to take your soul. Your soul is more powerful than other impures. I can almost taste it now..." I spoke, my eyes flashing to black as I glared at him.
He gulped, nodding.
"We'll find some." He stated, causing me to nod.
"Good." I replied, sighing softly as I closed my eyes.
I then looked him over.
"I'll be waiting then. That was all I wished to talk about." I stated, not missing the way his fist clenched in anger.
I then made my way out the building.
If I really wanted to, I could rid the entire building of changelings.
However, the promise held me to my word.
Even if he didn't agree, I couldn't have done anything.
I was content with the fact that he didn't call my bluff.