Chapter 19: A New Trap

~~~~~~~~
Skylar
~~~~~~~~

Draal and I walked down the tunnel, the light orbs flickering as they floated ahead of us.
The silence was thick between us as I studied the carvings.
"Any ideas on what this could be depicting?" I questioned, raising a brow at the large troll.
"I couldn't say for sure." He replied, causing me to s,Ile slightly.
"That's alright, we got our imagination for that." I stated shrugging before moving on to the next depiction.
"For example, these people look to be offering gifts to..." I trailed off, moving further down the tunnel.
"Someone with wings." I stated, frowning.
Draal stared at the depictions over my shoulder.
"This is strange." I muttered, glancing down the tunnel.
My eyes then widened.
"Wait, this symbol matches one of the drawings in that book," I stated, running my fingers over it before moving on.
Draal moved ahead of me, eyes on the opposite wall.
"They're fighting here." He suddenly stated, causing me to frown and move over.
Three people were guiding an army, multiple beings with wings fighting against them.
"I wonder why." I muttered mainly to myself.
The longer I stared at the three, the more my mind began to feel like it was warping.
I blinked, moving away from the carving to move on to the next one.
I immediately regretted looking.
Spears were sticking out of the winged bodies, some having been decapitated or filled with arrows, all the while those three watched from behind the army.
The base of my skull began throbbing again.
Before I could focus on it too much, the ground began shaking beneath us.
Draal moved to cover me as I placed my arms over my head, wings curling around me.
After a minute or two, the shaking stopped.
I unfurled my wings, looking Draal over as he did the same for me.
However, his gaze moved to the side, a frown quickly etching itself into his features.
"That wasn't there before." He stated, causing me to turn.
A new path had opened up, causing me to frown as well.
I glanced down the way we were heading, seeing as it had blocked off.
"Well, only one way to go now." I stated softly, looking up at Draal before cautiously heading towards it.
Draal huffed behind me before following.
"I don't like this." He stated lowly, a slight grumbling to his tone.
You should listen to him.
The voice spoke warningly.
"Neither does Lamierah." I muttered lowly, the tension rising within the tunnel.
I waved my hand gently, causing the orbs to flicker and dance briefly before moving ahead in a trail above us.
There weren't any stories carved into the walls here.
I could feel Draal's muscles tensing the further we walked.
However, we finally reached the end, a carving etched into the stone in front of us.
It was how the stone was drawn in the book.
I ran my fingers over it, a slight bump catching my attention.
I pressed against it, the floor shaking once again as the stone slowly raised.
However, it stopped halfway.
I frowned, glancing over my shoulder at Draal.
"No offense, but I don't think you'll fit." I stated, gesturing to his crystal-like spikes.
He huffed, eyeing the opening before nodding.
"I will wait here for you." He stated hesitantly.
I nodded before looking back at the opening and running a hand through my hair, once again forgetting how short it was now.
I slipped my bag over my shoulder before handing it to Draal.
"Alright, I'll try to find a way to get this door open more." I stated before getting onto my knees and crawling through the space.
Once on the other side, I stood up and dusted myself off before looking around.
"What do you see?" Draal asked, trying to look under the door.
"One second." I stated, letting light slip from my feathers once again.
The light filled the room, causing me to widen my eyes as I took everything in.
"Oh shit." I muttered, taking an involuntary step back.
Draal shifted from behind the door, grunting.
I turned.
"Draal, wait. I'm coming out." I stated, making him pause.
"What is it?" He questioned, moving away a bit.
"A crypt." I replied, getting down to crawl through again.
However, I stopped when the ground began shaking again.
"Skylar!" Draal suddenly yelled.
I jumped back, the door slamming closed in front of me.
"Skylar!" He shouted again, voice slightly muffled along with a thumping sound.
"Draal!" I called out, placing my hand on the door.
The thumping stopped.
"Are you okay?" He questioned, voice still muffled.
"I'm okay, just.... trapped in here with a bunch of bodies." I stated in reply, giving a dry laugh as well.
My eyes glanced around the dome like room.
"Try pressing the button." I spoke, causing him to grunt.
I could hear a small thump, no doubt from the force he was using.
However, no matter how many times he pressed it, the door wouldn't open.
A heavy sigh left me.
I tried to warn you.
"Go find the others. I'll try to meet you, I'm sure there's another door somewhere." I stated, glancing around briefly.
He huffed, no doubt disliking the idea.
"Perhaps if we wait..." He trailed off, causing me to sigh.
"You and I both know that waiting isn't an option. So far, there's no pattern or obvious time frame of the doors opening and closing. Go back the way we came, I'll find my own way." I spoke, bringing up the obvious.
It didn't matter though.
We both new what needed to happen in order for us to get out of here.
"Very well. I will warn the others." He stated, causing me to nod even though I knew he couldn't see it.
"Alright. Are the light orbs still out there with you?" I questioned.
"Yes." He replied.
"Cool. I'll try to keep them with you so you know I'm okay. If anything happens, you'll know." I stated, gaining another chuff.
"It'll have to do." He replied, receiving a laugh from me.
"We'll see each other soon." I stated.
It was silent a moment and I took a step away from the door.
Then another.
"Skylar." Draal suddenly called.
"Yeah?" I questioned, watching the door.
"Promise me you'll be safe." He replied.
"If you promise the same." I stated in turn.
A beat.
"I promise." He spoke.
"I promise too." I stated in reply.
That's when I heard his steps move away and I turned around to face the room fully.
Well, atleast none of the dead were on display or the stench of death filled the room.
I silently thanked the gods before walking further into the room, shivers running up my spine.
"Alright, please let their be an opening somewhere." I muttered aloud.