Chapter 14: Stray Thoughts

~~~~~~~
Draal
~~~~~~~

Nomura came back downstairs as I stood in front of the furnace.
I glanced over at her as she watched me.
"Nomura." I greeted.
She offered a smile before frowning.
"You like that girl, don't you? The trollhunter?" She asked.
I grunted, turning away.
"I don't see how that is your business." I spoke, grabbing a handful of coals.
"The only person I thought about when I was in the Darklands was you, Draal. The least you could do is tell me how you feel." She spoke.
"I do not feel the same for you as I once did. You betrayed me." I spoke, narrowing my gaze at the changeling.
"I understand. She is kind, caring, strong. She's a warrior. Not to mention her humor." She spoke, walking up to me.
"But she is young. Mature for her age, and a good head on her shoulders, but young. Not to mention her ang-"
"Do not talk about her lowly. She is capable of making her own decisions, as I am capable of making mine. Leave me be Nomura." I spoke before heading down the tunnel.
I needed to see Skylar.
However, as I got to Trollmarket, I could hear her yelling at someone.
Her anger was something to be feared.
I followed the sound, finding her yelling at Usurna.
And in the coldest voice I've ever heard her use, she said, "Gunmar escaped. I am your best shot at stopping him. Put me on a trial if you want, but you are not going to be able to train another trollhunter in time."
I stopped a short ways from Blinky's study, Usurna glaring The Nightwatcher down.
Skylar did not back down, nor did I expect her to.
I admired how she never gave up.
I clenched my fist, watching the interaction.
Usurna huffed before turning and walking away, Vendel following her after muttering a few words to Skylar.
I watched as Skylar relaxed, the tension being released from her shoulders as she ran a hand through her hair.
Her lips parted with a sigh before she glanced over to see me.
She waved with a small smile before checking over her shoulder to the others.
I could hear them getting ready to leave.
She then started walking over to me.
"Hey, we're about to leave for some goblin hunting." She stated before clutching at the obsidian piece of the choker I gave her.
I nodded, grunting a bit at the thought.
"What are you doing here?" She then asked, keeping her voice polite.
It was strange how well she could switch between her emotions.
"I... Needed to get something." I found myself saying, receiving a nod from her.
"Oh, uh, do you think you can find something for me while you're here?" She asked, the group walking out of Blinky's cave before stopping when they saw us talking.
"Perhaps." I replied, causing her to smile slightly.
"I was hoping to find some more books on Troll culture or maybe some books on other creatures and beasts. Lamierah said I needed to study more." She explained.
I found myself nodding.
"I'll see what I can find." I replied.
"Thank you." She stated before turning to the others and heading off.
I stopped Blinky before heading off.
"I need a moment of your time." I stated, causing his eyes to widen before nodding.
I glanced around before heading into his cave, the scent of burnt leather and paper filling the air.
"Is something the matter, Draal?" Blinky asked as I glanced around.
"Do you have any books on humans?" I questioned.
He froze, staring at me as I turned to look back at him.
"You... Want to read?" He questioned, causing me to narrow my gaze with a growl.
"It gets boring sitting around their basement everyday." I replied, causing him to nod before moving over to his bookshelf.
"Apologies, I have to reorganize after... Burning everything." He explained.
I stayed silent as he went over his books before pulling out four.
"These should suffice for now." He spoke aloud to himself as he glanced over them before handing them to me.
I raised a brow at him, receiving a shrug.
"Apologies, Draal. But I believe they are waiting on me. Bring those back when you are done and I'll see if I can find anything else." He spoke before quickly leaving.
I sighed before heading to the market itself, not wanting to disappoint Skylar.
She would have asked Blinky, I know she would have, but she entrusted the information to me.
Pride swelled in my chest as I looked around.
After some time, I returned to the basement with arms full.
I separated the items before picking up a book.
"Reading, Draal? That's new." Nomura suddenly spoke, causing me to drop the book.
I glared at her.
"What are you still doing here?" I questioned.
"Doing as Skylar suggested. Resting. I just came down here to grab the first aid. Barbara cut her finger while trying to cut some vegetables." She explained.
I grunted before turning my back to her.
"What are you reading?" She then asked.
"Shouldn't you return to Barbara?" I questioned.
She paused a moment before sighing.
"I understand that you like the girl, Draal. But she's human. Do you really think this will work?" She questioned before heading up the stairs.
Her words cut deep.
I frowned as I picked the book up again, turning to the first page.
Sitting and reading for long periods of time was not something I preferred to do.
Staying still, wasn't something I liked doing.
I sighed, sitting on the ground near the furnace, hiding the other books on human culture behind the boiler while keeping the books on troll culture at my side.
Something in my brain told me these books of human culture were outdated, as Skylar nor Jim did most of these things.
Some things, I understood, able to connect it to what I've seen humans do during my nightly wanderings.
However, most things I did not understand, though remembered seeing humans do during my life time.
They certainly were strange.
My thoughts then strayed back to Skylar.
How would she feel knowing I was reading these because of her?
She was reading about troll culture, it was only fair.
Heat suddenly rushed to my ears as I set the book I was reading to the side, looking through the books I got for her.
There it was.
Troll courtship.
I placed the book down.
Her learning of it was unavoidable.
She hunted knowledge just as well as she hunted trolls.
Humans had a concerning amount of curiosity.
A huff escaped me as I stood, wishing that Skylar would return soon so we could spar.