Chapter 16: Questing

~~~~~~~
Skylar
~~~~~~~

I sighed, walking around Trollmarket.
I was taking a small break from training since I had accidentally pulled a muscle in my shoulder.
I opened the book I was carrying, dodging the trolls walking around with ease as I read the pages.
Besides, there was still tension within the team.
"Skylar." Draal called, causing me to glance up from the book.
"Oh, hey." I greeted, noticing that he was working with a rope.
"Why aren't you training?" He then asked.
"Oh, I pulled a muscle so Blinky told me to take a walk. I was thankful to get away from the tension for a bit." I explained before gesturing to the rope.
"What are you up to?" I questioned.
"Just helping around." He replied.
"Which we are incredibly thankful for." Bagdwella chimed in.
Draal however only chuffed in response to her before nodding at the book in my hands.
"Reading?" He then questioned.
"Yeah. Figured I'd do some catch up work. There's always something new to learn." I stated with a slight shrug.
"Lady Skylar!" A voice called before Draal could speak.
I glanced over, seeing Blinky rushing over to me.
"I've been told of the Lagaertha stones. Lady Skylar, I fear the worse of this. Why didn't you tell us sooner?" He questioned.
I tensed, watching as he slowly seemed to catch onto his mistake.
"Right, of course. Perhaps we should discuss this privately." He began before his eyes trailed to Draal.
He glanced between the two of us questioningly before shrugging it off.
"This way, Lady Skylar." He then spoke, guiding me towards his study.
However, another voice spoke up.
"I'd like to hear of these Lagaertha stones." Vendel's voice called, quickly joining our side.
Blinky spluttered a moment before nodding.
I didn't miss the fact that Draal was following us too.
It didn't take us long to reach Blinky's study where everyone else was waiting.
"Okay, we know you said this was something we couldn't help with..." Claire began.
"But, Arya recognized the illustrations in the book you were looking at." Toby added.
Arya nodded, a distant look to her eyes.
"By my calculations, we'll be able to find the Lagaertha stones you require. Or rather, the stones your Nightwatcher predecessor seeks, here. Or at least some information on them." Blinky finished off, rolling out a map and pointing to a location.
"Someone relay to me what I am missing of this conversation." Vendel spoke with irritation.
That's when we all spoke at the same time, relaying quite literally, the same information.
We all were quiet once done, looking at each other.
"Alright, first thing I'm doing after defeating Gunmar, is taking a break from all of you." I stated, receiving a couple nods.
"I think your and Jim's twin thing rubbed off on us." Toby added on.
I just blinked at him with a blank look before meeting Vendel's gaze.
"You made contact with a predecessor?" He questioned.
"Yeah. Some time ag-"
A flash crossed my vision, causing black dots to appear.
My legs began to feel weak, as if the ground was shaking beneath me.
DON'T GO THERE!
The voice shouted.
I took a step back, pressing my hands against my temples.
STAY AWAY FROM THAT CAVE!
"Skylar!" Draal shouted from next to me, a heavy hand pressing against my back, steadying me before I fell into anything.
My vision became black, though I could still hear everyone.
My heartbeat picked up, as my head pounded.
"Why?" I questioned, my voice barely audible to my own ears.
JUST LISTEN TO ME!
"Stop yelling." I whispered.
A beat as I gathered myself.
I... Apologize. Just don't go there.
Lamierah spoke softly before going silent.
I sighed, my vision slowly coming back.
"I hate it when she does that." I murmured, my head still pounding.
I sent Draal a thankful nod before leaning against the table.
"She doesn't want us to go there. She won't tell me why." I explained quickly at their concerned looks.
"So, we won't be going there?" Toby questioned.
I laughed dryly, straightening.
"Since when do I listen to my predecessors?" I questioned before glancing to Vendel.
He was studying me with a quizzical gaze.
"When you return. I have questions I'd like answers to." He stated before leaving.
I sighed, shoulders drooping slightly.
"We'll meet back up in an hour. Pack whatever you need." I stated before glancing over at Draal.
"Thanks again for catching me." I added.
"I'll be coming with you." He suddenly stated, causing me to frown.
"While I appreciate the thought-"
"I'm coming with you." He interrupted, his voice more assertive than the first time.
I glanced over to the others, seeing their confused expressions.
"Alright. If you want to come, you can. I'll see you in an hour." I stated before beginning to head out.
"I will escort you." He added before following me, soon walking next to me.
I couldn't help but think how strange he was acting.
Whenever a troll got within a few feet of us, he'd stiffen, staring the troll down until they disappeared from our line of sight.
He was acting protective, which was strange.
"Draal, if you're doing this because you're worried about the voice and how it affects me at times, it doesn't happen often and I'm getting used to the pain of it anyway. You don't need to protect me." I spoke softly, looking up at his form.
"That is not the reason." He chuffed, causing my frown to deepen.
"Then-"
"I have pledged to protect you and your family. With this voice in your head, if you fight and she yells, you will lose your focus and will not be able to protect you. While I trust Claire and Tobias, they are not quite trained enough for me to entrust to them your safety." He stated, causing me to nod slightly.
"You have to be the most loyal being I know." I stated.
He chuffed.
"Trolls are loyal. Especially when we pledge our lives to someone." He stated, causing me to nod.
"I know. Honor is important among you. Without honor, what do you have?" I spoke, his gaze briefly meeting mine before looking away.
"How far have you read?" He then asked, gesturing to the book.
"Um, I got to the point where it talks about the properties of metal and how it acts as a healing ointment for wounds in Trolls." I replied, opening the book to glance at the page before closing it again.
He grunted.
"Useful information." He stated.
"Yeah, especially since I'm able to generate enough heat to melt metal in a pinch. Though I'd have to be careful which metals I mix apparently as if you mix certain ones together, it won't work out very well." I spoke, my ears heating up.
"Sorry, I'm rambling." I stated, looking to the side as we entered the sewers.
"It doesn't bother me." He replied.
I titled my head before narrowing my eyes.
"You are being strangely nice. More so than normal." I pointed out.
He stayed silent, glancing at me briefly.
"Do you need more lightbulbs?" I then questioned.
"You have supplied enough." He replied, smiling slightly.
"Oh! I read about how trolls slept in nests, it was a brief mention of it, apparently there's more about it later in the book, which doesn't make sense. But is that it? Do you need things to make that?" I questioned as we turned left.
"I do not need a nest." He stated, his voice a bit strained.
"I feel like I should have read that page before mentioning it." I said aloud, watching his mannerisms.
"That would be advisable." He replied, no longer meeting my gaze no matter how brief.
Maybe it was offensive to bring it up?
I definitely should have read more into it.
We finally entered the basement and I set the book on the table that was still set up.
I stretched my arms over my head before heading up the stairs, Draal following hesitantly.
"Alright, I'm just going to head to my room and pack up. Are you following or staying down here?" I asked, looking at him.
"I will stay here." He replied.
I nodded before rushing up the stairs and into my room.