Wattpad Original
There are 26 more free parts

Ch. 6: Paranoid

Sutton

I bounce on my tiptoes as we stand outside Barnes and Noble. "Yeah, yeah, keep my phone on me and all that stuff. Can we go in now?"

Dominique shakes her head, looping her arm in mine and taking me inside. "You're really excited for a little trip to the bookstore."

"It's sad, isn't it?"

"A little. But it's cute."

"We need to take a photo to mark the occasion. We just won't post—" I freeze as I slide my hand in my back pocket and find it empty. "Shit." I pat all my pockets and stare at the ceiling when I realize what I've done. "I left my phone on that park bench!"

"Ooh, hell," Dominique says, turning back toward the door. "Hopefully no one noticed. Let's go grab it."

"I can go by myself."

"No way. Absolutely not," she says stubbornly, shaking her head.

"Come on. I'm nineteen years old! If I can't even run across the street alone, I'm helpless. It's the middle of the day." I know I'm pushing the limits, and I know I was just in danger the other night, but I can't help myself.

I'm tired of feeling so fucking pathetic all the time.

Dominique's nostrils flare and she crosses her arms over her chest. "Fine. But I am standing right outside the door where I can see you, and don't even bother arguing."

It's better than nothing. "Fine. I'll be right back."

Stepping out the door, I cross the street at the crosswalk. There's a spring in my step as I blend in with the other pedestrians, my hair blowing around my shoulders. I feel almost like a college student running errands on my way to class. It's a good feeling.

The park is relatively quiet now. The only people around the spot we were sitting are the vendors, and it's a good thing because I can see my phone on the park bench right where I left it.

As I bend over to get it, I hear a twig crack behind me, and it freaks me out. I get the feeling that the person stopped as soon as I did. It's the same feeling I got in the club when I just knew that guy was staring at me.

I swallow hard, unlocking my phone, ready to dial for help if I need to, and walk back toward the bookstore. I'm almost out of the park when I chance another glance behind me. I hold my breath and look around.

Nothing.

No movement at all.

Stop it, Sutton. You're feeding into your dad and Jason's paranoia. There is no one following you.

But I know.

I know when someone is watching me. It's a trait you learn quick as a mafia princess.

It's then that I take off running back to the safety of the bookstore and Dominique. I don't slow down until right before the crosswalk, but it's too late. She's seen me.

When I reach her, she places a hand on my shoulder and meets my gaze. "You all right, babe? Did something happen?"

"No, why would you think that?" I pant, attempting a nonchalant attitude.

Dom cocks her head to the side. "Because in the years that we've been friends, I have never, not once, seen you run. What happened?"

"Very funny." I pause, unsure if I should tell her. I mean, I should, right? She'd want to know. She needs to know.

But what's to know? I think someone might have been following me? Maybe? Or they might have just been in the park walking behind me. In which case, they were doing nothing wrong.