Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Ch. 22: Roommates

Nicolai

"Hey, Sutton."

I can't believe that's all I can think of to say to her. Hey, Sutton? What a fucking dork.

She's just standing there, rooted to the spot like she's forgotten how to walk and I can't decide if it's because she's so shocked to see me or if it's because she's so angry I'm here.

It's Xavier who finally speaks first. "Nicolai?" His tone sounds incredulous, like he can't believe I'm here.

And honestly, I shouldn't be. I work for the Gospodari; being a driver/bodyguard for one of the princesses of the Ring is unheard of.

Well, it would be if I hadn't had Juri "exile" me. Damn, what rotten luck I have. To have been exiled from two of the biggest crime syndicates in New York. How'd I manage that? That was easy. First of all, Juri may be smart when it comes to business, but he's kind of a dumbass when it comes to matters of the heart. He has no idea that I'm fucking head over heels for Sutton and that no part of what I'm doing has jackshit to do with anything other than her.

So I can continue to "work undercover" for Juri while watching over Sutton. It's fucking cake. And if anyone questions my connection with the Gospodari, well...it'll be easy to show them the tattoo I had covered up last night.

You don't do that unless you're serious about being out of the club.

Or you get your cousin to fake exile you.

Either way. It got the job done, and I was able to accept Dominique's offer.

I swallow down any remaining resentment I have toward Xavier Banks and step forward with my hand extended. "Mr. Banks. It's nice to see you again."

To my surprise, he takes my hand and gives it a firm shake. "Nicolai Marković. My God, I didn't think I'd ever see you again. Where have you been hiding?"

I shrug one shoulder and say, "Oh, ya know, here and there. Worked with my family for a while, then got tired of that. My mom passed away a couple years back, so..."

His eyes soften and he pats my shoulder. "Sorry to hear that, son. She was one of the good ones."

I wish I could turn and glare at Jason. He'd used my mom against me so many times, and that was the final straw that sent me packing.

"Yes. She was," is all I say though. It's so clear to me that Xavier has no clue what happened between me and Jason three years ago. He has no idea why I left. He confirms this with the next words out of his mouth.

"I was surprised when you left us for a different job, I have to admit. I know Sutton here was heartbroken," he says, wrapping an arm around her and squeezing her to his side.

I finally look at her again, and she's just staring at me with so many questions in her eyes, and I hardly know what to say in this moment, so I just say what I feel without giving away my feelings or my true reason for being here.

"I know. I wasn't necessarily happy about it either, but I had to do what I had to do for my family. The job I took paid better, and you know how that goes," I say, avoiding her jade stare.

Dominique cuts in and says, "Well, we fixed that, didn't we?"

"Sure did. This is going to be a perfect gig for me."

"I bet it is," Jason grumbles from the other side of the room, and I feel so satisfied with his anger that I could throw a fucking party right here in his foyer.

Dominique shoots him a dirty look while Xavier's eyebrows dip in confusion—he always was sort of clueless—but Sutton hasn't taken her eyes off me.

I am dying to get her alone and find out what she's thinking. I didn't think I'd be greeted with a parade or anything, but she actually looks angry.