Papercut

A/N:

Another one-shot.

From Prapai's perspective. Not canon-compliant.

***

It must've hurt.

A droplet of blood dripped from the paper cut on his finger. I watched as Sky flinched and put the poor finger on his mouth to suck on it. And without willing to, my feet took me to where he was standing in that secluded part of their library.

"Let me see." I gently grabbed his wrist to inspect the cut.

"What are you doing here?" A surprised but annoyed hushed whisper soon followed.

"Don't ask me an obvious question. This is a library. What else can I do here?" Aside from stalking you. I purposely left out the last part.

Sky looks unamused.

"Definitely not studying. You don't look like the studious type." He said.

"A doctor is still a doctor without his lab gown and stethoscope. I may not look like it but who knows, I might be."

"You are not even a student here anymore."

"The library allows alumni to visit."

Inspecting the cut thoroughly, it seemed shallow enough but blood is still coming out of it. So I mimicked what Sky did and sucked on it.

I had the best intentions but the light moan from Sky put things in my "head" that weren't there in the first place.

Who am I kidding?

Sky tried to pull his hand away but I held on to it. Pink dust coloring his cheeks.

"Let it go." He said in between gritted teeth.

I smirked and continue to suck on the finger.

"Let. It. Go."

I stopped but wouldn't let his hand go.

"How many times were you born? You're one hell of a stubborn person."

"I'm just a determined man."

"You mean annoying?"

"Let's just settle with persistent." I insist.

"Just get bored already." My nong pleaded.

I looked at him intently. Sky must've felt it for he too looked at me.

"I am." Since I asked Rain for your number. Since we shared a bed together. Or probably even before that. I confessed.

"I'm bored out of my wits." I added.

"You wouldn't let me get your number. You wouldn't accept the flowers. You wouldn't even let me pick you up and send you to school. You wouldn't let me do anything. As much as I am a grown and capable man, I feel so useless around you. And I am so bored of it."

I caressed his hand while speaking.

Sky stopped struggling.

"Let's get something to clean the cut and bandage it up." I suggested.

Please. Let me. I uttered a silent prayer in my head.

"T-there's a minimart near here." Sky finally said after a sigh. Not the most willing response but that's enough for now.

"Let's go."

While walking, I kept holding onto his hand.

"I can walk by myself."

"I know."

"You don't need to hold my hand."

"I need to." It calms me down.

I turned to the person beside me without letting go of his hand and Sky had this confused, bewildered look on his face.

"You have the habit of running away from me."

Sky mumbled something inaudible.

After buying what we need, I ushered him to my car so I can treat his cut in peace.

While treating him, I can't help grinning. Being able to do something for someone you cared for felt exhilarating. A unique thrill altogether. I was about to suggest we grab late lunch when Sky suddenly spoke.

"I'm different." Sky said after I bandaged the wound.

"You are." I agreed.

Never found anyone like you.

"You don't understand." He voice cracked a bit and he turned towards the window.

Silence.

When Sky spoke again, I feel the pain in his voice.

"Most people find books harmless. I don't. I suffer from papercuts all the time."

I didn't interrupt him and continue to listen.

"Most people enjoy coffee. I don't. It makes my heart palpitate and be unable to breathe."

"Most people like it when others shower them with love and affection. I don't. It makes me nervous and afraid and anxious."

"I'm broken." Sky had a blank look on his face. "Someone messed up with my design and ruined my system. I'm a damaged good, Pai. You understand?"

My heart ached.

I have a lot of questions.

I reached out for his chin and guide him to look at me. And in the most sincere way I can, I told him.

"Let me take care of you."

***END***

11.18.22
FRI