Handkerchief

A/N:

A standalone one-shot.

Sky's perspective.

***

Pairs are what make up our lives. 

Hot and cold. Sunrise and sunset. Right and wrong. On and off. Left and right.

Two of everything make sense. 

Shoes have partners. It's weird to just wear a sock. Gloves are usually worn on both hands. And no matter how anime makes it so, monocles or eyeglasses for just one eye just don't feel right. 

I don't feel right. At. All. 

Sigh. 

I scoop one spoonful of my strawberry ice cream. 

A single tear escaped. 

Trying to calm down, I looked ahead. I'm currently sitting inside a convenience store at past 11 in the evening looking out at nothing in particular. 

Breakups are weird. But the people breaking up are even weirder. 

You say yes even though letting go is the last thing on your mind. You want to hold on despite all the red flags. And you're even willing to poison yourself with all the toxicity of the relationship if that's what it takes to keep him. But then again you still said yes. So it's over. Pride won. But it doesn't feel like freedom. The feelings imprison you in an invisible cell. No lock but there's no key either. And the sentence feels like a lifetime. 

Another tear fell. 

I put up all my walls trying not to cause a scene in this public space. It's already late but there's still a few people in the store. There's one couple. A group of friends. And another solitary customer like myself. And two staffs. And everyone one of them looked happy. Or more like content. 

Why does it feel like we're the only ones breaking up? Why am I the only one who is just one sad thought away from crying like a child? Why am I the only one clutching at my chest like someone stabbed it with a knife and I'm bleeding away at life? 

A couple more tears silently fell. 

Out-of-nowhere, a handkerchief appeared.

I turned to look at the hand holding it and looked up to see who it was. 

"When I'm sleepy, my eyes turn watery." The guy said. "Perhaps you should head back and rest." He added and put the offered handkerchief in my hand. I was too stunned I couldn't give him a comeback, much less put strength on the tips of my fingers to hold on to the tiny cloth. 

I might have managed to mumble a 'thank you' but I'm not entirely sure. 

The stranger just smiled at me and left. 

I soon followed his advice and started to stand up and leave the place. One more sad memory and it will wreck the dam and open the floodgate. 

At least the ice cream was good. Plus I got a free handkerchief. Life is still good. 

I walked a few steps and once I'm out and a bit farther away from the store, my knees gave out and a suppressed sad cry came out. 

"Why?" It sounded like a choked whisper.

And my heart breaks some more. 

***

A/N: Blame the rain for the melancholia.